Oil Bath Air Filter

Tennmogger

Re: Oil Bath Air Filter

Post by Tennmogger »

Hi John,

Thanks for that info but I tried to find one of those filters and it's not available 'over here', apparently.

My closest NAPA Auto Parts is very obliging to look up stuff. In the case of this Fram CA641PL, not only did they look and found nothing, but turned their catalog book over to me to try another size match. No luck.

I just have not gotten around to searching for a source on another continent. Luckily the Haflinger still runs well on the old paper filter still in it.

Any luck to clean one of these paper filters? I'm thinking a bath in degreaser and air drying (no high pressure blow out). But then I'd never know what filtering capability remains.

Thanks,

Bob

heinkeljb wrote:Bob,

I don't profess to claim that the following filter is a "direct" replacement for the original sort other than the fact it is available here in the UK and it fits the original filter housing with no modifications.

FRAM CA641PL

First result from a google.co.uk search:-
http://www.autopartoo.com/oem/fram/CA641PL.html

Gives dimensions of the filter.

John
1952 Willys M-38, Unimogs from 1957, 1965, 1970, 1975, 1978, 1988, and a 1968 Haflinger NA bugeye!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Don't try "washing" a paper filter unless you like paper mache! (Sorry don't have the correct font on this PC).

I take it the link was to an American based company rather than a Canadian one? What Suffix do Canadian webs site use then? There is bound to be an equivalent one. Have you tried putting the diameter of the filter in to a search with the words air filter?

If you want to clean a paper filter the best method is to "reverse" flow the air i.e. take an air line and blow air from the inside of the hole towards the outside. In between doing that and "tapping" the outside face on a table top to dislodge any bits that might not want to come out with the air.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Tennmogger

Post by Tennmogger »

With John's great help, the following numbers are apparent replacements for the Haflinger paper filter:

Fram/CA641PL
K&N E-2330
Purolator AFP56
MANN C1427

I found the K&N filter available on both Ebay and Amazon and have one on order. Posted measurements are correct. I'll verify when it arrives.

As I told John on PM, I took a chance and washed the existing paper filter using some degreaser. No pressure was used, just soaking, then shake out water and let it dry. That did some good because the water turned black with lots of floaters. No damage to the filter could be seen. Now I only need to use it for a few days until the new one gets here.

Bob
1952 Willys M-38, Unimogs from 1957, 1965, 1970, 1975, 1978, 1988, and a 1968 Haflinger NA bugeye!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I have a Fram CA 663PL in my Haffie - the box says it is also compatible with model A40.

Ryco A109 also fits.

The above filters all have the same external and internal diameter but their height are different but that does not matter.

Paper filters are not designed to be cleaned in normal use - use and throw away. If they are clogged and you cannot get another they can be gently tapped to remove some of the dust - while not recommended low pressure air can be used but you must blow from the inside out as air can force particles through the paper if blown from the outside.

I was able to buy a new filter last year so if I can find them in the motoring backwater capital of the world - that is the Aussie capital "Canberra" - no Sydney is not the Australian capital - then you should be able to find them.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Tennmogger

Post by Tennmogger »

The K&N filter #E-2330 fits fine in my 1968 NA model. It is a lifetime filter so the higher price might be justified.

Bob
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

Hope no one minds but I've added the cross reference information from this thread into my Parts X ref list and updated it.
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

AustHaflinger wrote:Hi Bob - I should have updated this thread. The issue I had with the oil filter must have been a false diagnosis and was in fact related to carby issues I was having at the time. I now have the proper Zenith carby on it and other issues sorted - I have the oil filter connected before paper filter and have had no issues.

I am not sure I agree with you of the advantages of the oil bath over a paper filter. They are good but not that good. Landrovers started out with oil bath filters but changed over to paper filters in the late 70s. Likewise with my Jag I have oil soaked foam sport air filters and I have been told not to use them as they allow fine dust through that will polish the bores.

As far as smaller particles go in the oil bath filter they are supposed to be picked up by the oil soaked mesh - the logic being if there is a direct hit the oil traps them but also the charge on the particles is different to that of the oil so the particles are attracted to the oil and trapped. Works but only to a point - the very fine stuff still gets through hence the very fine paper filter. You said in your experience that dust gets through the paper filter then I would say that there was either another issue or the wrong grade of paper filter was being used. If it was being blocked at least it was doing its job.

In outback Australia we have very fine red dust that gets into everything. Vehicle wise the arid areas were opened up using 50s landies with oil baths and they worked but the paper elements used in newer vehicles like my FC101 and RRS work better. Just about all 4wd vehicles here now use paper filters - though many older tractors used on farms still have oil bath filters.

It was Haflingers use in these environments that highlighted the filtration with both systems was inadequate as the engine space sucked in so much dust it choked the system so the tropical inlet with the air intake at the front of the vehicle was installed on many Haflingers.

So my experience now is that both filters work well together and in addition I will connect up the plumbing so I get fresh air coming from the front. The last time I went offroad the amount of dust sucked into the engine bay was incredible.

Cheers

Garry
Garry

I am now experiencing the very symptoms you have described. I am running a freshly rebuilt Zenith. It idles fine in the shed, but limps down the drive. I have the tropic air intake, oilbath and paper airfilters installed. Could you please elaborate on what you did to fix the problem?

Regards

John W.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Each time I try to use the oil bath filter with its small intakes the engine does not run well. So as per the early posts I just run the paper filter. I thought it all worked OK with the two filters but it doesn't.

It will work fine in most circumstances but because the engine bay sucks in dust on dusty roads this will have to be dealt with by the paper filter and will clog up quicker - would be like driving a normal 4wd in convoy on a dusty road, the filter will clog quickly.

What I an am going to do is go to Supercheap and buy a sports pod filter and put it on the end of the air intake just before the paper filter - these can be cleaned and will act as a precleaner and catch most of the dust.

Later I might use the pipework I have to connect the tropical cleaner at the front but the pipework is just too small when you compare its diameter with the air intake on the engine and the diameter of the top of the carb. The restriction on the pipework that is only just over an inch in diameter and over 3m in length with all those joins has to strangle the engine at higher revs. So I might have an extra pipe in the engine bay to allow it to suck extra air if needed.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)