Some strange Haflinger bits

heinkeljb

Some strange Haflinger bits

Post by heinkeljb »

I recognise one of the items in the photo as being connected to the air intake oil bath container, but haven't seen one before. looks like a version of the front snorkel - maybe it is one?
It was attached directly to an oil bath air inlet so don't know for certain.

The other two items are identical so maybe not a pair, but maybe they are all made with the twist the same way. Anyway, they look like bigger versions of the safety chain hooks fitted either side of the tow ball, only they are much thicker 10mm diameter rod. I can't think where they would have been fitted - anyone know?
Unknown haflinger parts.jpg
JOhn
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Re: Some strange Haflinger bits

Post by AustHaflinger »

The cyclone air filter on the right looks like the one that goes in the engine bay rather than the one I have on the front nose cone.

The loops - just guessing here but they look like tow points - maybe bolt to the platform at the front or rear where the optional bumper bars are bolted on like I have on my Haffie.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

As the cyclone air filter was attached to an oil bath filter it obviously is one that goes in the engine bay. It's made of metal. I assume it is designed to make the air spin on its way in to the oil bath filter and make heavy things in the air stream fall out, but I don't see any easy way to "empty" it if that's the case. The bottom might be a "prise off" lid affair. I have looked at it that closely as I am not sure it is worth fitting as it lowers the point at which water would enter the air intake system.

The loops do look like they are "quick attachment / quick release" tow hooks, I will do some measurements to see if the length of the mounting section is correct for going through the platform where the bumpers fit. There are already some tow rings fitted at the rear so it seems odd to have these at the rear as well, so maybe they are for the front?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:There are already some tow rings fitted at the rear so it seems odd to have these at the rear as well, so maybe they are for the front?

John
Are they tow points at the rear (like the welded one at the front) or tie down points?
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Lurch has a welded loop on either side at the rear just below the platform. between the engine side wall and the rear bumper. I'll see if I can get a decent picture tomorrow during daylight - it's dark outside there now!

The loops in the picture above look like they are designed to take a rope loop or a strap loop rather than a D ring as used now-a-days for recovery straps. The design is the same as those on either side of my tow ball which is deigned to allow you to put a safety chain or cable from your trailer to the tow hitch in case the trailer parts company with the towing vehicle. Just they are on a much bigger scale.

I really am at a loss as to where they fit, which might mean they are not for a Haflinger at all!

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

They look to me as if they might go through the holes in the longitudinal side spars - where the side boards normally fit - to be used as tie down points. The Royal Navy Hafs had loops to allow for attaching / under-slinging the Haf to a helicopter - but they look to be welded to the side spars.

Intriguing.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The two loop - hooks seen from a different angle.
loop hooks.jpg
John

cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

That cyklon air filter is just like the one connected to my Haflinger. It's really easy to remove, and you can shake sand and grit right out of it. I have heard of people wanting to replace theirs, so if you ever want to sell it, I think it would go pretty quickly.

Those loops are strange. I've seen similar things designed to secure rolled down tops or sheets on boats... Just putting that out there.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

What is the pin diameter and length? If large diameter maybe draw bar accessory parts/pins, or if same as side board post, heavy equipment tie downs :?:
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Diameter of mounting section = 14mm
Length from collar to washer = 4cm
Internal Diameter of curled part = 12mm

You would have to take off the side boards in order to fit these down those holes. At that point it would have made more sense for the mounting length to have been longer with a thread cut down as far as the 4cm mark and a big nut to hold it in place rather than the existing internal thread of 8mm.

There does not appear to be any suitable holes in my tow bar for them to have been fitted to that.

John

Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

To me they look like tie down hooks for cargo, have seen a lot like these in my army days and was wondering if they were part of the tools/ fittings on the military Haffs. Danny
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

haffie74.jpg
Found this Photo, they look exactly the same as the tropical filter
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I am not sure I like the fact the cyclone filter points down from the oil bath filter, as that reduces any deep water fording capability even further. I have the straight pipe connection on Lurch which puts the air intake above the Dynastart.

John