Lurch during a trial section.

heinkeljb

Re: Lurch during a trial section.

Post by heinkeljb »

It looks quite tame when viewed from the outside. Compare it to the video above taken from inside and add the fact the camera is 2D and doesn't add gravity to the mix and it's a bit more scary!

It really does feel like it is going to stand on it's nose when you get to the bottom!

Having done that section twice during the day, the second time was less scary as I knew it could be done in the Haf with out issues, but going over the lip is still a "heart in the mouth" moment. It just seem like it is straight down.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Another picture of Lurch going down a steep bank during a trials section.
Haflinger at butchers wood.jpg
This must be quite old as I haven't had that box on the back for at least a couple of years!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Latest incarnation of Lurch.... The Poles I used to make the frame hoops for the green canvas I had on the back are ex-tent poles. So thin walled and have succumbed due to being bent too many times whilst taking part in trials.

I will have to get some thicker walled stuff, but that also mean having to get a suitable pipe bender! If I go for thicker walled stuff, I might as well make a roll cage version!
Brown canvas cover1.jpg
John

jhon

Post by jhon »

Just something to bear in mind John - if you use heavier wall tube it will increase the overall weight and raise your centre of gravity, which will increase the potential for it to fall on its side!

If you don't triangulate the hoops or cross-brace them, unless they're large diameter/heavy wall they're unlikely to be that effective in the event of a roll anyway.

Making it so that the hoops can be easily removed when you're doing a trial might be worth considering.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I think I could probably do with one thick walled hoop in the holes just behind the cab to act as a roll bar - not sure the factory one is really going to keep enough of it's shape if you do a real roll over.
Brace the new one so it will keep it's shape but make all the other hoops of thinner walled stuff so they can bend and use up some of the crash energy. If they are the right shape, I can put the canvas cover back on them.
As you say, make them so they can be removed and have a stowage system for them would also help.

John

jhon

Post by jhon »

heinkeljb wrote:.. - not sure the factory one is really going to keep enough of it's shape if you do a real roll over.

John
Well, you're right John - I had a nasty roll the other weekend and the hoop buckled badly in the passenger corner, folding down to just above seat height.

Examining it afterwards at the points of failure, it had been modified by cutting and tack welding in inch long semi-circular inserts - not a good idea.

Anyway, all fixed now - I kept what I could of the original hoop, used heavier tube, added on box-section and extra bracing. It's likely that it would still distort a bit under a heavy roll* but should now retain its basic shape.

(* not that I'm intending doing that again!)

There's a short video captured by an onlooker - it's on facebook and I can't retrieve it off the site, so apologies if you can't view it.
https://www.facebook.com/ian.pickthall. ... 641619266/

Here's where I modded it.

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Is the square tube hoop that I see on many european haffies any stronger - I want to put in lap sash belts and the standard hoop even with reinforcing is not strong enough.

You need to be on facebook to see the video and I am not on facebook.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Can you see if you can get hold of the onlooker and get a copy of the video to put on here? I have just tried the link and the clip is no longer available - Facebook has reduce the amount of history it continues to show for some reason.

I don't think the square hoop is much stronger than the MK11 type larger diameter hoop. Both are far better than the original two piece hoop.

I am seriously going to think about adding a bit more in the way of roll over protection now! Maybe something along the lines of the foldable ones you see on the little mini diggers?

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I _think_ the square section roll bars were a feature of the Swiss army Hafs. Never seen them on civilian models.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
jhon

Post by jhon »

Yes, sorry about the lack of video guys - I did try to get a copy but the owner didn't respond; unfortunately with my limited IT skills I can't seem to download and save a copy off of Facebook.

It was a full 360 sideways roll down a bank, it landed on it's wheels with sufficient force to pop the two offside tyres off their rims. When I was driving in to the section I did suspect that it may tip on to its side, but didn't account for it picking up speed and going right over - I'll be a bit less gung-ho in the future!

I was wearing my seatbelt fortunately - I can remember feeling the strap digging in to my shoulder as I passed the upside down point.

Apart from scrapes to the paint there was no real other damage apart from the hoop, I was lucky. I'm sure the standard hoop would be OK for a low speed, fall on its side type roll, and although mine had been butchered, even standard I'm not convinced (now) that it would have held up. Worth strengthening if you do any serious off-road driving.

I tried to source a replacement box section hoop thinking it would be stronger than the round tube version; unfortunately only fitted to military Hafs and generally not available. The advantage of repairing my own one is of course that the canvas and doors still fit as well as the sides on the rear bed.

Worth noting that my Haf wasn't the only vehicle to have an incident on that section; a Suzuki Jimny also rolled (on to its roof) and a lifted LR Defender had to be recovered by winch to prevent it falling over too.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I found this web page which details how you can save the video to your PC. Then we can think about how to get it uploaded for others to see.

https://www.logicinbound.com/how-to-dow ... y-browser/

Just follow the bits which say:- put your mouse in the video and right click, then choose the the save as bit.....

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I am always weary if side slopes in my Haf and my 101 - both are quite unforgiving particularly the haf with its swing axles which fold in when relieved of load - you can normally judge the slope but you can caught out is there is a hole that one of the front wheels can drop into and over you go.

The standard hoop is clearly not strong enough, after all it is designed to keep the hood up and is not roll over protection (ROPS) - likewise as a seat belt support they are not up to scratch.

I am glad the experience did not result in damage to your Haflinger and only gave you a bit of a fright and not much else.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)