3 Haflingers found

ogdenenterprise

3 Haflingers found

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I visited the owner of the Haflinger mentioned in the Rebuild post , this is the one up on chain blocks ,apparently his son ripped the swinging arm off a few years ago and they have not got round to repairing it yet. While I was there I was told about another Haflinger about 5 Kms away so I took the chance at locating it while I was in the area. When I arrived at the property I found the owner had 2 Haflingers . I was informed that the green one was ex army, it only has 1 foot well and a small panel on the body behind the drivers seat (RHD). The other Haflinger is a ex telecom vehicle, both are used regularly,the yellow one had its battery on charge while I was there.
Attachments
Ex Telecom.jpg
Ex Telecom.jpg (288.4 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
Ex Army.jpg
Ex Army.jpg (231.85 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
repairs required.jpg
repairs required.jpg (228.42 KiB) Viewed 5030 times
pathfinder700ap

Re: 3 Haflingers found

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hi David,

thanks for posting the pictures. The one that is supposed to be ex Army looks more like a younger civilian Series 2 Haflinger to me, because it has the fuel tank under the passenger seat. No rear right seat possibly means that it has a PTO and hence a rack for additional equipment on the underside of the platform. The small panel can be used if additional equipment is mounted on the cargo bed and driven by a belt from underneath.

Do you have more pictures from other angles?

Regards,
Constantin
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Highlights why there doesn't seem to be many Haffies out and about in Aust - they are all stored in everyone's backyards.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Nice work tracking these down Dave. I recall seeing a factory figure of 740-odd Haflingers exported to Australia (I think Constantin's website), so there must be a lot of them ferreted away on properties around the country. Perhaps they are not a rare as we might think. Its a fair bet that most are in a sad state.

regards

Rick
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Rick K wrote:so there must be a lot of them ferreted away on properties around the country.

regards

Rick

In Rick's backyard?? :o
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rick K

Post by Rick K »

Rick K wrote:In Rick's backyard??
Actually, not one. Number 1 wouldnt have it.
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Hi Constantin, Photos as requested.
regards Dave.
Attachments
found5.jpg
found5.jpg (208.25 KiB) Viewed 4996 times
found4.jpg
found4.jpg (225.44 KiB) Viewed 4996 times
found3.jpg
found3.jpg (251.09 KiB) Viewed 4996 times
found2.jpg
found2.jpg (242.91 KiB) Viewed 4996 times
found1.jpg
found1.jpg (159.97 KiB) Viewed 4996 times
Found.jpg
Found.jpg (241.79 KiB) Viewed 4996 times
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Thanks David, looks like a Series II 700 APTL to me, not like an Army one.
But the vertical engine door has possibly come off an older Haflinger with raised air vent.
Grobb

Post by Grobb »

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but are the chunkier tyres on that red telecomms Haff, Steyr Puch issue or a later addition?

I like how they look over the standard width although I wonder how much extra wear you might put on the wheel bearings?

I saw Haffy for sale in Mexico, that was on a Unimog forum, that had been completely restored but with modern quad bike rear wheels and tyres fitted all round. Looked very business like!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Considering the method of setting the free play on the original wheel bearings, I would not be putting extra wide wheels on the hubs for an extended period of time.

The only good thing in their favour is that there are 2 bearing quite close together on a short axle. So they ought to be able to take more "strain" but only if they have the correct free play That appears to be quite a difficult thing to achieve without the correct tool and a lot of patience!

Too many people would just put bigger wheels on without checking the hubs first to make sure they were correctly set up.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!