Mid 1960's Haf on Gumtree South Africa

Ebay, Gumtree etc.
heinkeljb

Mid 1960's Haf on Gumtree South Africa

Post by heinkeljb »

Came across this:-

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-classic-vin ... 0005587709

No connection to seller - just found the advert!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Re: Mid 1960's Haf on Gumtree South Africa

Post by AustHaflinger »

John you did a duplicate post so I removed the second one.

What I have noted with this Haflinger is the sideboards around the rear tray. As we know the "standard" trays have hooks on them and have pressed in indents in them. This Haflinger has a different style that looks like it is home made.

However, increasingly I have been seeing lots of Haflingers with this style of sideboards - including my own. So maybe for some non mil Haflingers this style of sideboards were an option.

Here is mine - made in Aust - but basicallt the same as the SA sideboards.
20150911_122355.jpg
Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I think it is because those Haflingers which were built from "Flat pack" / "Knock down" only had the main parts shipped in the box as those countries where it was "built / sold " in that way usually had some agreement that X percentage of it had to be sourced locally. For instance, the South African assembled ones had to use locally sourced wheels and tyres so they had 13 inch rims and not the 12 inch universal tyres that most European one have.

Also why the Australian ones had locally sourced "hard top / doors" that are solid and not canvas.

John

P.S. that one at R85,000.00 works out at about £4,200.00 (plus of course cost of shipping and all the extra fees you would have to add) - Shame the pictures don't include the engine, but the engine bay does not look like it has been altered to take a VW engine which would have been the most likely engine swap done in South Africa.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes - as you can see the sideboards on my Aust made Haflinger are the same as the SA vehicle so I guess Steyr had a standard plan for them that did not need special equipment.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)