It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Freight costs.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:07 am 

Hey All,
I am in the process of bringing in from Scotland a heap of body panels for my Haflinger, to start heading towards finishing off this rather long restoration of mine. Have just received a phone call stating that I owe TNT Customs in Sydney around $600 to get these bits into the country. Has anyone in Australia who has imported items from Haflinger Technik in Scotland, to Australia, been subjected to these costs. I have previously got bits from this company which I never had to pay anything on to get them in.
Regards Rick.

Post subject: Re: Freight costs.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:01 am 

All shipping costs are high from the Europe and the US - my experience with Haflinger Technik have been good and their costs reasonable - normally you pay the supplier the costs of shipping before they ship - did you get a quote.

I suspect the items you purchased cost more than $1000AUD so you will then have to pay GST and import duties and admin fees on the goods and shipping.

As I said you normally pay for shipping when you pay for the goods so I suspect you have been hit by our own taxes and import charges and not shipping. When you import from overseas always try to get purchase price for one shipment under $1000AUD and then you pay nothing on import duties - if necessary break the goods up to two separate shipments under $1000AUD with separate invoices.

Garry

Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)

Post subject: Re: Freight costs.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:02 am 

Hey Gary,
Thanks for the reply which explains it all. I have got other items from Dale on a number of occasions, plus lots of motor cycle bits from all over the world and have never paid either customs duties or GST,,,, because they have never been purchases over $1000. This purchase I am asking about is for the front foot well plus nearly all of the panels for the top of the platform, which for the parts was roughly $3700 and the freight roughly $1230. I don't have a problem with the cost of the parts or the freight, in fact I thought they were moderately priced, but my querry was the cost of customs duty and the GST component.
Your suggestion about keeping an order under $1000 is interesting, but in this case it would have been 4 separate orders and then I suppose 4 separate freight cost and I wonder if the total freight cost would have been higher than what I paid.
As usual Haflinger Technik and the staff there did a great job supplying the bits in the first place and then getting them organized to be freighted here. I haven't actually got the bits yet as they are in the system somewhere in Sydney, but I will pay what is necessary tomorrow and then wait for my late Xmas present.
Thanks again,
Regards Rick.