Ideas for cleaning out the fuel tank

Off topic
heinkeljb

Ideas for cleaning out the fuel tank

Post by heinkeljb »

Lurch has suffered from blockages in the Carb jets on and off since i bought him. The fuel tank has been coated internally before I purchased, but I think what ever coating was used was not ETHANOL resistant.

So I think the petrol is eating it and bits are making there way down the fuel line. The bigger bits getting caught in the fuel filter, but smaller stuff might get through and end up in the jets.

At some point I would like to take the tank off and clean the inside of all the old coating and use some thing capable of handling modern fuel. To this end I am after ideas as to how to get the old stuff off!

One thought is to leave some fuel in the tank and throw some sharp sand in there and shake it - I can see that taking a long time and then having to try and make sure you get all the sand out.....

Maybe a couple of handfuls of smallish wood screws - It would be nice to have something like one of those stone polishing drums which would just turn the fuel tank over and over for you.

Anybody got any other ideas?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Bigdougal

Re: Ideas for cleaning out the fuel tank

Post by Bigdougal »

The product called slosh that I am about to use has two components. The first claims to remove any existing sealants and the second is a resealer. It claims to be safe with ethanol. Check out ebay.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Re: Ideas for cleaning out the fuel tank

Post by heinkeljb »

I'll have a look Doug, must be an aggressive cleaner if it can eat petrol resistant lining!

I suppose you need extra thick rubber gloves to use it :lol:

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!