Short video clip from Lurch

Off topic
heinkeljb

Short video clip from Lurch

Post by heinkeljb »

Took part for the first time in trials in Lurch: Didn't do that well, but mainly due to having road tyres which were 30 psi. No tubes in them so couldn't drop the pressure as they go down if I do! Site was wet and had an inch of slushy chalk so no grip.

I think I failed on the third gate, the right turn where you first see people. Probably cut the corner too much, LWB fail, SWB maybe pass?

Anyway, fun day out what ever!

http://youtu.be/o_SsC1r0F1Q

Sorry there is a rather boring wait section just after the start. I couldn't work out how to cut out that small section from the video in Windows movie maker, cut either side off, but the bit in the middle! So I gave up and publish the whole whole section.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Re: Short video clip from Lurch

Post by AustHaflinger »

Its good to see you out in your little truck having fun doing what it was designed to do.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

We (Lurch and I) didn't do too well overall, but part of the issue I think was down to tyres, (Mud and snow), high pressure (30psi) and a driver who has never tried this task before!

I am sure the Haflinger would have climbed some of the slopes in the dry particularly with tyres down at 10 / 15 psi.

There was another section which i should have cleared but I got confused and attempted to go the route set up for the modified class. So that was through all gates from 10 down to 3 and didn't manage to get at least one of the front hubs passed the marker for gate number 2! If I had gone the other side of the tree, I am pretty certain I could have climbed the bank and got on the top through gate number 2 and on to where gate No 1 was.....

This is where it pays to walk the course and see where the route is that you are supposed to take rather than listen to people saying they are going to take this line or that line though a gate!

I shall try to get some photos from the other people there who were taking pictures.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Why couldn't you let your tyres down?? Why do they go down?? Are you still running 12" wheels - tyres with tubes or no tubes.

I was supposed to do something similar on Saturday with the Landrover Club but the Haffie was not running well so I didn't go and stayed home and worked on the Haffie - all fixed now but two days too late.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

They are 13 inch rims and it seems the tyres do not seal very well on the beads, when the pressure is below about 25/30 psi, they deflate all the way over night!

So I didn't really want the hassle of trying to reseat the tyres in muddy chalk pit!

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Sounds like dirt in the bead or a rusty rim - you could try taking the tyres off and cleaning the rim - or just put tubes in.

Or you could take an air compressor to your events.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

or the tyre beads are old an or damaged . or the rim
they should not deflate that fast .

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
jhon

Post by jhon »

Hi John - with the right tyres/pressures and a bit of ability there's no reason that your Haflinger shouldn't be one of the most capable vehicles in the club!

Re tyre sealing - I can recommend this sealer product - it sealed up my 13" rims just fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TYRE-RIM-BEAD ... 3f23e336e6
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The 13inch rims were second hand and I did clean them when I first put the tyres on them. That was a year ago, and since then i have had a couple of occasions when for no apparent reason, next morning there are flat tyres. No, I don't think some one is letting them down..
I have put bead sealer on them now, so we will see if they hold pressure over a period of time. If they don't I am just going to put tubes in them to reduce the amount of effort being expended on them.
I have a small air compressor I take with me, but once the tyre has gone "flat", it can pull away from the bead and that means jacking it up off the floor so you can pump it back up. Also a small portable compressor takes a while to pump a tyre up. Not easy at the bottom of a ditch with others waiting their turn to drive the route.

I don't dispute that it is more than likely "driver error" as to why it appears that Lurch was not more capable in dealing with the terrain. Only thing I would say is that once you have all four wheels spinning on a slope, I doubt you can slow them down to the point where they get grip again and still to be considered to be moving forward.

A lot of the other vehicles only got up some of the slopes with the help of vast amount of power which literally threw the mud out of the tyre threads. The Haflinger hand book even makes specific mention of the fact that it only works on a non- slipping surface when climbing steep slopes! :)

John

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Here are some pictures taken on the day by others. The first few pictures are of a slope which got steeper the nearer the top you got, a fair few of the others didn't make it up and over. Then there are pictures of sections which we went round trying to do.
Also some pictures of some of the competitors - even the standard looking things had big chunky off road tyres.
Lurch having a go 1.jpg
Lurch having a go 2.jpg
Lurch having a go 3.jpg
competitors1.jpg
competitors2.jpg
Difficult to tell from the pictures how steep things were. You couldn't walk up the first slope... too steep and slippery, you had to go up where the bushes are.

Maybe I should buy some Mayolas!

John