Lurch and the MOT tester

Off topic
heinkeljb

Lurch and the MOT tester

Post by heinkeljb »

Lurch had to have his annual MOT test today.

The MOT test probably wasn't even born when Lurch was made... Had to explain where everything was, lights - pull that switch. Dip? Put your foot on that switch on the floor. Wipers? That switch there. Where's the key to start the engine? Switch that on, press that button...

Still we got there in the end. He found a gear and drove it on to the lift, it's so narrow that it only just fits. When he was looking underneath for some where to jack the rear and then the front up, he had to go and "borrow" from the other MOT bay some more spacers to allow the jack to reach the drive shaft tubes in order to get the wheels off the floor. Looked at this, turned that, looked at that, wiggled this and that. Finished doing those checks and discovered that the track had narrowed even further when he jacked the front up using the central tube. Still it drove off the lift with no problems - once he had found reverse gear!

Took it out side with his new fangled electronic (idiot proof - only has a single light that goes from red to green) Tappley meter. He only managed to stay in one gear and when he hit the brakes it lifted the rear wheels off the floor..... For some reason he did that twice? Do you think he was having fun?

So at the end of it all, Lurch has passed for another year with flying colours.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Re: Lurch and the MOT tester

Post by AustHaflinger »

We no longer have MOTs here :)
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I have had similar issues with the MOT ramps being too narrow, and with the MOT jack not being high enough too! But I take it down to a 4X4 garage on the South Downs and they are always very sympathetic / helpful.

Well done for the pass 8-)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

i had a a problem here with a prick that knew nothing .
he abused me in front of others . not a good thing to do to me .
i told him i would come back very soon with a factory manual to show that the steering was within
specifications . which he was telling me i had no idea about . and i was an idiot , he knew all .

long story short , one very embarrased inspector , being force to to apologise as loudly as he had abused me .
a few did clap and cheer .

he never argued or crossed me again .

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Actually, the MOT tester seemed more interested in the tyres - I think he was looking for the "E" mark (which they have). They are Mud and Snow remoulds, but as the Haflinger does not have a very high speed I doubt they will overheat and throw the tread, at least not without me knowing its going to happen.

We had a long chat about spare parts availability, whether I took it to shows and stuff like that, so it was a pleasant hours worth of time getting it done.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!