Road trip in Australia!

Off topic
tpond

Road trip in Australia!

Post by tpond »

Hello all,

later in the month, I am going to have about of week of free time to drive from Sydney to Brisbane. As of right now, I have no set agenda, and am looking for ideas.

I will be in a Land Rover 110 camper, so I would love to do a little bit of exploring.

Would love to meet any Haflinger owners if it worked out.

Look forward to hearing your suggestions!

Best,

Toby

Portland, Oregon.
1964 NA Spec. Haflinger
AustHaflinger

Re: Road trip in Australia!

Post by AustHaflinger »

If you are going from Sydney to Brisbane definitely drive up the coast (the Pacific Highway) stopping at various beaches and other attractions but you can also divert up into the hinterland and mountains into some wilderness areas - divert inland from Port Macquarie and than back to the coast, then later Coffs Harbour.

It is a nice drive and at the top end you have the seedy attractions of the Gold Coast - if your into theme parks there are a few to visit.

I am not sure if there ae any Haffies owners on here up the north NSW coast but there are a few up Brisbane way.

You can also drive from Sydney to Brisbane via the New England Highway which is an inland route - not as exciting and would be the route if you were just commuting between the two cities but arguably less to look at and a bit boring.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
tpond

Post by tpond »

Thanks for the tips, well appreciated.

I look forward to seeing the country, if only a tiny sliver of it!

Once I get to Brisbane, I will be there for a few days for work, then off to Melbourne for another couple days, finally back to Sydney for the Working With Wood show...

Should be fun : )
1964 NA Spec. Haflinger
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Sounds like a nice trip - where are you getting the 110 camper from as I have not heard or seen any around. Normally people get a small motorhome though the backpackers often get a Toyota Troopy Camper - they have a habit of rolling them up on Fraser Island hooning around doing silly things.

garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
tpond

Post by tpond »

The Rover is from a small independent outfit called Bear rentals. https://bearrentals.com.au/packages-the-grizzly/

I think there is a clause in my contract that prohibits me from going to Frasier Island : )

Frankly, I can not imagine letting a tourist take a truck off road at all, there is so much damage that can be done so quickly if the driver lacks mechanical compassion.

I have an old 110 Dormobile, so I am interested to drive the new Puma to see the difference that 25 years makes in Land Rover development ; )
1964 NA Spec. Haflinger