Sydney, Canberra region Treffen

Off topic
Vampyr

Sydney, Canberra region Treffen

Post by Vampyr »

Hi guys, have been speaking to Gary in Canberra about this and thought I'd put this up to any members who may be interested. Definitely nothing set in stone, however am looking at organising a 3 to 4 day treffen down the southern highlands. Would look at starting off from Braidwood, heritage listed town driving around the town , good restaurants, pubs and fresh water fishing. Heading through the Monga National Park then onto Majors Creek. Stay the night at the pub, check out the next day , we could check out the old gold diggings, do some fishing or more driving in the mountains. Back though Majors Creek down the old coach rd. Convict built switch back, great views and history stop at one of the orchards. 'WISBY'S' for late lunch and onto the Araluen Pub. Stay the night , check out the next day and onto the fire trails into the Deua National Park for the day and back to the Araluen Pub for the night again. Check out the next day, hill climb back to Braidwood. anyone interested please pm me. Would not look at this until spring. Danny
heinkeljb

Re: Sydney, Canberra region Treffen

Post by heinkeljb »

Sounds like an interesting Treffen to take part in. Obviously needs a bit more detail of the cost people might need to stump up - staying in accommodation always adds a fair amount to the rest of the cost of the Treffen.
You definitely need to put it on!

Rope as many helpers in as you can as that will make the organisation, road route planning easier.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

You know my thoughts :D - just need to take into account there may be interest from Haffies that are not registered so onroad activities may need to be carefully considered. Majors Creek showground is apparently available for camping etc.

Spring and early summer is the time as it is getting a bit cold down here at the moment.

Treffen - hmmm it took me a year to work out what it meant. At first I thought we all went out in our Haffies and then stripped naked, held hands and danced around a tree in the firelight on a full moon. :shock: Thankfully I was wrong.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey Garry, If that doesn't go on at a Treffen,,, then I am not going.
Regards Rick.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Always space for some thing new! Could be a nice addition to the Australian version of a Treffen....

Seriously, I really think you should go for it, even if you only get 2,3, or 4 Haf's - That's what the Dutch Terffen started off with 8 years ago and this last one had 20 turn up.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

mechanical horse wrote:Hey Garry, If that doesn't go on at a Treffen,,, then I am not going.
Regards Rick.
Bloody Banana Benders - you cannot take them anywhere :lol:

For the non Aussies - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... a%20bender
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Well I'm not into standing around naked, holding hands, eating mung beans and doing the herbal tea, But Hot steaks , cold beer and a Bundy Rum sure sounds good to me. Just need to make sure all the Haffies are fitted with the drop bear whistles, as my first aid skills involve , bullet to the head.
mechanical horse

Hey Vampyr, Now that's a bit harsh if some one has got a splinter or needs a head ache tablet. Can you get the cost of the bullet back on medicare?
Regards Rick.
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Ok Rick, I'll take a pack of band-aids, I'm sure there's a spot in the haffy. I take Gary's point, we could always camp on a property in the area, I can fix that and trek through parts of the Clyde. Open to any suggestions? I run down to Araluen from Sydney with the Haffy in the trailer, takes about 3 hours. Hoping to have my other one up and running also, so hopefully I will have 2 going. Danny
pureredcordial

Post by pureredcordial »

Sure. If my is back together. In the middle of painting if it stops raining.
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Well that's 3 with the possibility of 4 haffies, good start. Danny
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

That's enough to start a Treffen, Once people gt to hear it is actually happening (or has happened), more willtuen up - After all, Haflingers are herd animals!

John

Rick K

Post by Rick K »

If I get my 10-year project ex-hydro Tasmania 1964 haffy going again in time, I'll be there. I'm in cursing phase trying to refit the rear axles, but after that it should be smooth sailing. My only worry is this is an immaculate Haflinger like the day it left Graz, and worried about getting a scratch! Cheers Rick
1963 Haflinger 700APTL (ex- Hydro Tasmania)
several Puch scooters[/size]
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

That why you need to keep a nice non concourse mechanically top condition vehicle for everyday use. I never restore because I want to use them and one day on the dirt will undo all the pretty stuff.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Well more interest, that's great. trying to get the indicators and brake lights up and running for Rego. Hoping to do the Treffen in early May, not to cold or hot, any suggestions.Danny
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

You could always open it up to owners of Haflinger's but who will have to run other vehicles as their Haf's are in boxes! lol....

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

John - definitely something to consider. While Haflingers are not rare here most are sitting in paddocks never to get back on the road and there are probably only a handful - maybe a dozen in the whole country that are registered and available for road use.

I have owned my Haflinger for four and a half years now and I have never ever seen another on the road and the only other Haflinger I have ever sighted wrecked or not is Vamps (Danny's) in his drive.

My home city - Canberra (voted the most liveable city in the world 8-) year after year) is a city state of about 400,000 and the only other confirmed Haflinger here is owned by pureredcordial (Matt) on here and is under restoration by him and his Dad who visits me from time to time. There might be another but I have not confirmed it.

So in the Capital, which is in the country, (Haflinger country) there is only 2 or 3 Haffies - this highlights how thin they are on the ground here.

Sydney would have the highest concentration of Haflinger interested parties on the east coast, so maybe before the Treffen we have a meet and greet in a park in Sydney - Lane Cove National Park, Audley Weir in the National Park or Kurnell where Capt Cook landed are suggestions. Other than a date and time no other organisation is required with minimal travel distance for most people - just round up interested parties, bring your own drinks, picnic lunch and chairs - drive or trailer your Haflingers or just turn up with your enthusiasm - the aim is to meet interested Haflinger people and put some meat on organising the proper Treffin that Vamps is proposing.

I would certainly drive the 350km to meet others - just need someone in Sydney to pick a spot and date and time. I am happy to help noting my distance from Sydney.

That aside I am a starter for a Treffen as proposed.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
mechanical horse

Hey Danny,
I reakon your suggestion is good although I won't be there as it will be at least 18 months before I would think mine will be ready to use on the road. However the suggestion that a gathering of owners somewhere one day for a BBQ and a drink sounds like an excellent idea and I will be there as long as there is a bit of notice to plan things at home.
Regards Rick.
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Sorry guys, been away hunting in the Clyde mountains with my son Tom and my Haflinger, I wanted to give it a thorough run to sort out any troubles. She came up trumps. I'll post a photo, for those who have an Army Haflinger this is not supposed to be one, she's done up for my hunting. I think a meet somewhere in Sydney is a great idea, names to faces etc, and if there are vehicles all the better. Bit crazy right now but I think March would be good. I would suggest any place off one of the main highways as directions are then easy. warm regards to all at this time of year. Danny
IMG_0424.JPG
Haf-e

Post by Haf-e »

Great looking Haffy! All looks great (well - except the chrome side mirror). What tyres and rims are those? Are they 12 inch wheels?