Doggie, Roo and Man

Off topic
AustHaflinger

Doggie, Roo and Man

Post by AustHaflinger »

Doggies normally sort out Roos, particularly if they are smaller, though on occasion the Roo wins out - normally if they get into water where a big Roo will drown a doggie.

This is different with doggie in a head lock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziCGPRt ... =2&list=WL

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Re: Doggie, Roo and Man

Post by heinkeljb »

Weird! Why would you be out in the bush with your dogs if you didn't know how they would deal with a Kangaroo? Obviously a Townie!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey Gary,
A slight twist to your video item.
A couple of years ago we started to have trouble with wild dogs around our property with the result the leader off those dogs drove our much smaller dog into our dam and drowned it. A bit later at Xmas the same dog drove a huge kangaroo into the dam and while attacking it, drowned it in front of a house full of guests that were here for Xmas. Very upsetting for all who witnessed it as the roo was huge and had been around here for years and would often come up to within 30 feet of the house.
It took me 11 months to finally outsmart this dog and get to the point where I knew what it was going to do and I finally shot it. I hung the dog up by its feet, for some photos for the local council, with its nose just touching the ground and its back feet were about 2 inches above my head. I stand nearly 6 feet tall.
I have watched that video that you put up, and the bloke in it was probably very lucky. A roo doesn't stand there and box on like the bloke was doing, it usually flees but if cornered it waits until you are close enough and then leans back on its tail and rips down with its back feet and can spill the victims internals all over the ground, and that will certainly spoil your day.
Regards Rick.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:Weird! Why would you be out in the bush with your dogs if you didn't know how they would deal with a Kangaroo? Obviously a Townie!

John
They were out pig hunting and they are pig dogs - while hard to see the dog had armour around its neck and chest to protect it from pig tusks. As I said the dogs normally have the measure of roos - noting that in the wild the only real predators of roos are humans and dingos.

Male Roos fight each other by grabbing each other with their arms (often perceived as boxing) and then ripping at the chest and stomach area with their claws on the rear legs and may do this with dogs - the roo had this dog in a headlock and was probably trying to rip the dog but its armour protected it.

The guy is a handler from the Dubbo Western Plains Zoo, a huge open plains zoo so knows how to deal with Roos. He achieved what he wanted to do, which was to distract the roo so it released the dog. The roo went into the typical stance (the boxing stance) of trying to grab the guy so it could rip at the guys abdominal area but the guy got that right hook in that startled the roo and the guy turned away so the roo was no longer threatened so hopped away.

While somewhat comical, the guy probably saved the dog - though it was luck it had armour on.

While a large roo, big red males do grow quite a bit larger.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Vampyr

Post by Vampyr »

Just hope you don't hit a big one on the highway and it comes through the windscreen, not a pleasant way to die.