New Haffy to me.

Off topic
antsdriving

New Haffy to me.

Post by antsdriving »

Just bought a 1969 Haffy on ebay.

Had one of these years ago in Africa, saw it and had to have it.

Will not go into revers.
Is this a known problem?
And is there a known solution?
Any help would be appreciated.
AustHaflinger

Re: New Haffy to me.

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Antsdriving (insert first name here :) )

Welcome to the forum, it is a great source of information and help.

I am not able to answer your question other than to note that sometimes the lever can balk preventing getting reverse when the gears don't quite line up - if the engine is running engaging the clutch while trying to get into reverse can help. Also letting the vehicle roll forward while trying to get reverse can help. Other than that I am sure someone will be along to help.

This is an international forum, so to help up better help you please let us know your first name as we tend to like to use them over forum names and please go into you profile under User Control Panel and indicate you town/city you live in and what country you are in. There is always someone local who can help.

Welcome.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Re: New Haffy to me.

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Anthony,
Obviously there can be several reasons as to why it won’t go into reverse. Let’s look at the easiest ones first.
The lever has a joint at the bottom of it which wears as this means sloppy “pudding bowl” gear changes. To get reverse you have to push lever down and then towards thee top left of the gate.
Take the lever out, undo the 4 screws on the cover, check for play in bottom pivot. Grease.
You need two people for the next one.
Move gear lever in cab to try and get reverse. Observe how the rod moves at the black disc near the gearbox tower. Make an alignment mark across the black disc and metal plates so you have something to go back to. Now loosen the three bolts. With you hand move the bit of rod that goes in to the gearbox tower and see if you can get reverse. If yes, move gear-lever to reverse position, tighten bolts and now try gear lever system again. Not likely you will get it correct first time, keep trying.
If you can’t get reverse from the little rod where it goes into the gearbox tower, then that suggests there is something wrong in the gearbox. Much more work at this point!

Let’s do the above before we have to take the gearbox out!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!