Haflinger and Crimson Rosellas (parrots)

Off topic
AustHaflinger

Haflinger and Crimson Rosellas (parrots)

Post by AustHaflinger »

Quiet on the Forum so something a little different - yes there is a bit of Haflinger content.

Each year in early spring (Sept) the Crimson Rosellas (parrots)
Rosella.jpg
decide to try and nest around my house and chew on the timber work. In 2020 I installed a nesting box for them and they took to it like ducks to water.
IMG_20200907_132400.jpg
DSCF0005.JPG
I managed to raise 3 chicks before Christmas 2020 of which at least one is still alive. They are green until 18months old when they turn red and there is still a green one hanging around with mum and dad. I got a second clutch with two chicks early 2021 but a possum decided to move into the box and killed the chicks.
Possum.jpg
IMG_20190629_140130.jpg
I caught the possums and took them away to a new location so in late 2021 the birds were back nesting in the box. I installed a Trail Cam camera to monitor them and to be sure no new possums were trying to move in. This morning I checked the bird box and here are two new little fluffy chicks.
New chicks.jpg
So here is some vid I picked up on the Trail Cam
The first is me bringing my Haflinger up from where it lives in the back yard under my balcony - sorry had to use flicker to upload vid so click of the pics to open the short vids.
ImageDSCF0020 by Garry Collins, on Flickr

This one is Mum telling Dad to stop being a lay about and go and get her food. When Mum is on the nest, Dad has to get her food.
ImageDSCF0222 by Garry Collins, on Flickr
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Re: Haflinger and Crimson Rosellas (parrots)

Post by heinkeljb »

I thought they went round in big groups. That would mean you have to put a few more nesting boxes. If a possum can get in there doesn't that mean the hole is too big?
Most interesting bird we get is the swallow which migrates between South Africa and the UK every year to make a mud nest usually directly above the front door! Makes a mess right outside the door where you come in or out.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi John - some of the outback parrots flock in huge numbers eg budgies but Rosellas tend to stay in family groups so we have groups of only 2 or three birds like my group - Mum, Dad and last years baby.

The hole is only 3 1/2" in diameter and a possum can easily get into very tight spots - it is amazing where they can get. Adult Rosellas can handle the possums but once the chicks hatch the parents are away from the nest getting food and this is when a possum can move in, particularly if Mum is away just before dawn when the possums are looking for somewhere to sleep for the day.

I also get starlings and indian Minor birds trying to nest but once the Rosellas take up residence all others are chased off.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Callahan

Post by Callahan »

heinkeljb wrote: the swallow which migrates between South Africa and the UK every year
So would that be the African or European swallow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I suppose they are European in that they breed in the UK and migrate to South Africa during the UK winter:-

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees- ... s/swallow/

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Callahan

Post by Callahan »

Sorry! That was a poor attempt at a Monty Python reference. I should stick with Austrian off road vehicles.

https://youtu.be/liIlW-ovx0Y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Great... I had forgotten about that bit. I haven't seen the swallows carrying any coconut's but that not to say they don't!

John