Site on a "go slow"

Off topic
heinkeljb

Site on a "go slow"

Post by heinkeljb »

It seems like the site has gone to sleep now that I have stopped posting things about Lurch - he still has issue which need addressing, but I am trying to run him rather than fix him!

Solved the most pressing oil leaks last week. So on to the next things!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Re: Site on a "go slow"

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes I agree - I am just running my Haffie waiting for the bearing noises I have to develop into something I can diagnose.

I have been working on my 8'x5' box trailer that I carry the little truck around in. By law the total weight of the trailer and load is 750kg and with the haffie loaded it is actually comes in at about 900kg so technically not legal and anything over a total weight of 750kg must have brakes.

So I have put in an extra reinforcing bar on the trailer draw bar and am still in the process of putting override brakes on the trailer axle.

It is a shame that only a handful of people post on a regular basis as I know there are a lot of other people with interesting vehicles and experiences. Also there are quite a few people on other forums who have not come to also join this forum. Nevertherless the forum does seem to be growing with new people popping form time to time.

I have to say that your exploits with Lurch have helped me with many issues I have had to deal with. The same applies to a number of other members who have provided me great information and I have to thank everyone for that.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I think this forum is suffering the same thing that seems to have happened to the Yahoo site. The Yahoo site actually has a record of the number of posts on a monthly basis and you can see there are periods where next to nothing happens - then suddenly there is a burst of activity.

My theory is that there is a burst of activity when a new member joins, then it goes quite until some one is actively re-building a Haflinger, then there is another burst of activity and the cycle repeats!

This suggests than in between either people do not use their now working vehicles or that once rebuilt to working condition they never go wrong (more likely they go wrong but the person now knows how to fix that part so does not bother to post)!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I certainly agree - with a few exceptions most of the posts on the forum are technical oriented with few social, flippant or posts on other Haflinger related issues so there is less to talk about. This is not to be unexpected in forum that has a world wide audience where some members may not be able to interact outside the forum on matters related to Haflingers. In my case I have had my Haflinger for nearly a year and have not even seen another Haflinger in that time, let alone been able to compare notes on a face to face basis so the forums are an important source of information for me.

Maybe in Europe and North America things are different so the desire to post is less important.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Its summer in the USA.. and either;
1) People are doing non-Hafi things with friends/family
2) They are so deep in their Hafi repairs that they can barely come up for air
3) They are spending time enjoying the truck.

You will see more.. and some folks are posting to the Portal Hub forum.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
texashafi

Post by texashafi »

Mike, I agree with your last comment. I purchased my Hafi about 8 months ago, in near perfect condition. I knew very little about them until I brought it home. I have been searching out any and all information about the little Hafi ever since then. It came with a box full of parts and service manuals as well as a trailer load of spare parts. After looking at every available photo that I could find on the internet, I finally realized just what a real treasure that I stumbled upon. I have been watching this site for some time now, gathering information and knowledge about the Haflingers. I soon hope to post my pictures and join in on the forum discussions.

Mike in Texas
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Texashafi,

Do you use your Haflinger? Either off road or on road? The trouble I see with vehicles like these is that is they are to "original" then people don't use them for fear of damaging them in some way.

I look at it as; put it in a museum and the number of people who visit such place is a very, very small proportion of the population. So it is seen by very few people, whereas if it is driven down the road / off road - more people will see it (and ask questions) in day that on in museum probably sees in month / year.

Even when driving at 40 mph on the road holding everyone up (apart from the big fully laden lorries), I bet people are saying - "What the heck is that"!

Each to there own :D

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:The trouble I see with vehicles like these is that is they are to "original" then people don't use them for fear of damaging them in some way.

I bet people are saying - "What the heck is that"!

Each to there own :D

John
I am with you on this - while I certainly accept that some people are into full restorations I am of the view it is more fun to actually use the vehicles. None of my classic vehicles are restored and those on the road are in good roadgoing condition. I use my Haffy almost every day - did about 40km today doing the errands and it is still amazes me how much attention it attracts and how many people think it floats. Initially I would stop and chat but that takes up too much time s these days it is just courteous acknowledgement of their admiration and I am on my way.

Today the Haffie was used to take me to lunch, pick up a spare wheel for my trailer (that carries my Haffie), pick up some brake pulleys for the trailer and some nuts and bolts, pick up a framed one off print of my Jaguar and to take me to the bank to berate them for poor service.

I doubt I would be using a Concourse Haffie for this mundane running around.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Well, I got mine just as summer started here in New England, and there is enough wrong with it that I have decided to "take it down" a great deal and "bring it up" again. I don't have a lot of time to do it, so I only get to spend a few hours a week on it.

My plan is to get it cleaned up and stable, stop the rust that does exist, correct some bodge-job repairs, and drive it. Maybe some mild off-roading, but I DO fear the thought of overdoing it and breaking something made of "unobtaininum."

I worked in the auto insurance industry for 7 years, and now in collision repair, and I deal with every type of auto damage and marvel at the safety systems designed into even the least expensive vehicle.

The Haflinger represents (to me) the last gasp of the US market introducing a "form following function" vehicle. Everyone who has seen mine thinks its amazing, but mostly because its so "pure". NOTHING like that exists anymore. Even UTV off-road vehicles are sticker strewn, with silly "race inspired" fake carbon fiber and chromed plastics.

I attended one of the biggest car shows in VT (800-900 cars) last weekend (my Hafi stayed home), and there were NO vehicles even close to it on the field. The military vehicle contingent last year had one Volvo C303, and no Pinzgauers! This year, the only non-USA "off-road" vehicle appeared to be an Iltis!

The little Haflinger really shakes up people accustomed to living in a "nanny state." "Does it float" is a common question, but so are the statements "it CAN'T be street legal" and "how could they ever sell something like this?!?" They have this weird perception that something like this couldn't have ever been "OK."

Thanks Ralph Nader.

Maybe next year my Hafi will go to the car show... and unlike ALL the other cars there, I'll let the little kids climb on her.
Mike
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Just don't let them play with the indicator switch!

Every thing else is probably child proof, but other than "sawing" the steering wheel back and forth, keep them a way from the dash.

I suppose there are, in comparison to population, a very small number of old vehicles in the USA. Maybe out in the smaller towns there are more old vehicles, but as you say probably American ones.

John

cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

My indicator switch "left the building" a long time ago. Its got a sh*tty aftermarket one now, with a less sh*tty one to-be-installed somewhere in the future.

My 4 year old climbs all over the poor old girl, and hasn't broken anything yet.

A battery cut-off mounted in the box is helpful so he doesn't leave the lights on...
haf_pie.jpg
haf_pie.jpg (79.77 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
Mike
woodman

Post by woodman »

Hi Mike, at shows we now stop the little darlings clambering all over our Haffie, because we had an indicator switch broken by a little terror and it cost us £150.00, even when we put signs on to say in a polite way ' Please do not climb on the Vehicle ' we still get mummys placing there offspring on the vehicle ( probably they can't read !! ) and when we politely ask them to remove said offspring most do comply but some say " why, there not hurting any thing " as the little mites try ripping off the steering wheel, I don't want to put a damper on showing your vehicle but just be aware.
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

My indicator switch "bought the farm" long ago, to be replaced with a robust aftermarket unit. I know what you mean, though. I saw a little kid twist a tail lamp lens off a pristine Austin-Healey 3000 at a local car show.

Luckly, it wasn't my kid.
Mike