Don't Forget To Take All Your Keys

Off topic
AustHaflinger

Don't Forget To Take All Your Keys

Post by AustHaflinger »

Jumped into the Haffie today to go down to the shops to get my lunch. :)

Parked in the carpark and as we all know security is minimal on the vehicles so I carry a steering wheel lock that goes on when parked away from home. I had used my spare set of keys that did not have the key for the lock so I just put it in place and left it unlocked.

I then went and had my usual inari sushi with a cappuccino and a read of the paper at the cafe. Then into the supermarket for some milk and bread and back to the Haffie for the drive back home. Went to remove the steering wheel lock and - oh dear - it was locked - must be the first time it has ever locked by itself. :(

Hmmm what to do - well walk home get the other keys and walk back. :o

I set the phone gps into action and managed to get to a top speed of 5kph with an average of 4kph - 3km round trip - it felt like 30km.

At my elderly vintage and portly physique maybe I need to leave the Haffie at home and walk to the shops more often :( - but I would rather drive the Haffie than walk. :D I could have ridden my bike back down the hill to the shops but I haven't used it in 10 years and the tyres are flat.

I need to hide a full second set of keys somewhere on the vehicle - thankfully I was near home (albiet at 300m lower altitude) and not somewhere miles away from home.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Re: Don't Forget To Take All Your Keys

Post by heinkeljb »

You could put a set of keys in the locker under the bed and put a combination lock on it. That way, you still have access to the tool locker, but the keys are still relatively safe from others.

Or make sure the bicycle is in working order and trow it on the back with a combination lock holding it in place.

But that was a good bit of forced exercise! :)
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

I used to keep a spare key to my VW in the air cleaner oil bath. I only had to fish it out 1 time.. and it was a mess, but I would have been screwed without it.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:But that was a good bit of forced exercise! :)
Exercise - yes; good - no :lol:
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)