Im new and have questions..

Techmogogy

Re: Im new and have questions..

Post by Techmogogy »

Jim in Oregon or theirs a guy in Texas that has a massive parts stash.
Let me know if you need his contact info as I will need to look it up
Dan
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

G,,day .
i am sure i have swing axles .
i have no idea as to how much postage would be .
let me know if you want me to look into it .

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Thanks everyone. I have been in contact with Jim. Havent heard back from him in a couple of days.

Dan, who is the guy in Texas? Maybe I should contact him too as a resource.

Kerry, how much do you want for the control arms?

Chris
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

Rabbit 16v wrote:Thanks everyone. I have been in contact with Jim. Havent heard back from him in a couple of days.

Dan, who is the guy in Texas? Maybe I should contact him too as a resource.

Kerry, how much do you want for the control arms?

Chris
Located in San Antonio, Texas.
Nelson Amen
210-834-1991
[email protected]

He posted his contact info on another forum so I feel ok to post it all here
Dan
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

G,,day Chris .
i suppose $100 but i will need to look and check on condition .
kerry
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Thanks Dan and Kerry.

Kerry, I would be quite interested if shipping isnt astronomical. Any chance you can check condition of the spares you have? Thanks!

Chris
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Well, this sucks. I got a pair of control arms from a guy on Facebook and one of them has the shock mount completely rusted away like the one I already have and the other one has the shock bolt broken off inside of it along with another bolt broken off in the pivot pin on the diff side cover.

Gah! I think I should probably just get the two repair pieces and weld them on and find the gear oil leak in the other one.
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Shame!!

Did they tell you they were in good condition? I would be contacting the seller and asking for some money back. I did think it would be difficult to find a pair. they have to have good pivot points and the machined surfaces for the hubs. Getting the repair sections will at least mean you can choose the best ones to make a useable pair.

Just to throw another spanner at you!

There are two sizes / types of pivot pins so you have to match the pins and the bushes. I don't think it would matter if you had say, the early type (small) on one side of the Haf and large (later) on the other side. It probably wouldn't even matter if you had small on on side of the axle arm and large on the other as long as you get the relevant bushes correct to give you acceptable play at the Diff side plates.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Right. So I didnt ask condition, and he didnt state condition. Obviously, one would expect if asking $350 for a pair that they might both be usable. Obviously one is not. The other will take time to extract the broken bolts.

Good to know about the different sized pivot pins. I will have to measure. He did send them very complete though. I have backing plates, axles, and diff side covers that came with them.

I contacted him and he offered a full refund if I didnt want both or half if I just wanted one. I am not sure what to do about the shipping since it was $100 one way. I will have to discuss this with him I suppose.
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

Rabbit 16v wrote:Right. So I didnt ask condition, and he didnt state condition. Obviously, one would expect if asking $350 for a pair that they might both be usable. Obviously one is not. The other will take time to extract the broken bolts.

Good to know about the different sized pivot pins. I will have to measure. He did send them very complete though. I have backing plates, axles, and diff side covers that came with them.

I contacted him and he offered a full refund if I didnt want both or half if I just wanted one. I am not sure what to do about the shipping since it was $100 one way. I will have to discuss this with him I suppose.
At least it sounds fair all around!
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Ok, proper resolution and dude was a stand up chap. I told him I would be fine with taking half of the price of the parts back and asked him what he would like to do with the junk arm. He said to keep it and he would refund half which he did. So, I paid a bit much for some parts, learned my lesson and can move on. Not going to be driving it this weekend, but getting closer still!
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

Chris , do you still want me to look at the condition of mine ??

kerry
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Hi Kerry, sure I would be interested! I think shipping costs might be the first step though. Any chance you might be able to get an estimate on that first? It may not be too bad. I sent an instrument cluster to OZ a few months ago and it was only about $50 USD IIRC.

Chris
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

Chris , will do

kerry
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

hi Kerry, dont worry about it at this point. I think I have it under control. Famous last words, I am sure.

These control arms are ridiculous. I cant believe how complicated they made this.

Also, should I bump the wheel alignment thread? Ive not touched the drag links on either Haffies, but there were random washers and shims that fell out during disassemble as John noticed. Im home at present and dont have the parts catalogue in front of me for review.
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Chris,

Might be worth while starting a new thread about the wheel alignment issues as it will make searching for such detail easier for other people who have similar problems.

In theory at least, you need to put "all" the shims back where they came from in order to keep the axles at right angles to the torque tube or you will end up with a Haflinger that "crabs".

Obviously, the amount of movement you have is quite small, but it will kill tyres very quickly if you get it wrong.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Thanks John. I will start a new thread. I fear I screwed it all up and will need to redo all four corners.

Back to control arm related news, the nightmare is not over yet. I am getting closer though. I replaced the left rear today only to find lots of play where the pivot pins are. A little more digging and it appears that the control arm rotates on the threads as it goes up and down? Someone must have thought this up on a Friday afternoon, lol! Four different oversized bolts to make up for this??

Anyway, took it all back apart tonight and found one that will work. The other one is seized in one of the garbage control arms. So hopefully I can extract it tomorrow.

Got the repair kits for the arms. So the plan is to use the one arm I got from the guy in the US (sloppy bolt unit), and extract the other bolt from the junk arm and that should allow me to sort the left rear arm. Then I plan to weld the repair kit onto the right rear as it is already installed.

After that, its just buttoning up and should be commuting with it next week. Ack! What a painful experience this has been. I didnt plan on going to Haflinger Uni over these things.

Chris
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

As I highlighted in your other thread, except for toe in and out on the steering all other alignment aspects is fixed and cannot be changed - the shims are there simply to take up the slack between the support arm and the swing arm - it is not there to adjust the swing arm back and forth as this in theory cannot be done with serviceable and adjusted fulcrum pins.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Ok, back on subject. Because the nightmare isnt over, lol!

Green one is good to go. Yay! Thanks for all the ideas and help!

White one. Argh! So, it has the trans and motor from the green one. '63 drivetrain if you will. Im not sure if one should make two threads, or just combine the two issues into this thread. I think I will make two as the issues arent related. dramatically low power from the engine.

Shifting. I have adjusted the shifter all the way in both directions at the trans where the three bolts are. Finding reverse is almost impossible. the shifter also feels rather loose. There is a tab on the battery box on the left side and someone has put a hose clamp very loosely tightened there around the shift shaft. Of course I dont know what this is supposed to look like. Its a LWB with PTO option. I am thinking either something is quite worn out, or my issue has to do with whatever is missing from that tab on the battery box.

Any ideas would be great. I will be going in to work again tomorrow to see if I can sort this. Thanks guys!

Chris
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

FWIW I don't recall any attachment / clip for the gearstick rod on the battery box. Maybe an after-market kludge?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |