crawler gear

ogdenenterprise

crawler gear

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I am still having problems with the gear box after the rebuild ,it is a 5 speed type. I can select all the gears apart from crawler/1st. when I try to engage crawler it is not just engaging. I have disconnected the gear rod at the flange with 3 bolt and removed the spacers but there is still not enough movement for it to engage properly. I have tried several time to manually engage the crawler gear from this position and I would say 1 in every 5 times it will engage. can anybody advise what could be the cause,I presume I will have to remove the gearbox again to check things.I am getting quite good at this I think this will be the 3rd time I have removed it.

Dave
ogdenenterprise

Re: crawler gear

Hopefully I have found the problem, when I replaced the ball bearings and the springs in the synchronizer I replaced them with 4 short springs instead of 2 short ,2 long. parts book page 2 08. no8 ,11 .12 ,13 15, :oops:

Dave
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Let us know if that was the problem won't you? It will help some one for sure when they have similar problems if that is the cure.

Do they have to be opposite one another? Or two on one side and two on the other?

Did you use new springs or the old ones?

Sorry for all the questions, but answer might be of use to me at some point!

Many thanks Dave,

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

This is a follow up to the post, I reassembled the gear box and the problem with the crawler gear was sorted . I had assembled the syncro with the wrong length springs.
I took it for a test drive and found 2nd gear was doing the same ( dropping out of gear), so the gearbox was removed again :oops: :oops: :oops: . I found I had done the same thing with the springs, checked 4/5 and I had done the same thing :roll: . A few months have passed, and I have only got to the stage where I can wheel the engine, rear axel and gearbox in to reconnect to the centre tube ,fingers crossed I will keep you posted.

Dave
Attachments
Gearbox repair.jpg