Rear Hub Race

sibrysmi

Rear Hub Race

Post by sibrysmi »

Hi all, i am in the process of rebuilding the rear hubs and have been provided with the race and o ring for the hub. I have replaced all the other bearings and seals.
Any suggestions as to how you take the old on off?
I have put a picture of the hub and the new parts for clarification.
Many thanks for the ever present help.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
heinkeljb

Re: Rear Hub Race

Post by heinkeljb »

Relatively simple:-

Easiest way is to use a blow torch! Heat just race part on the hub shaft and after a very short time with heat it will pop away from the hub and start smoking as the rubber "O" ring inside started to burn. At that point you can grab it with a pair of slip joint pliers and pull it off.

Putting the new one on:-

Clean the shaft obviously, thin smear of silicone grease on the new "O" ring. Put the "O" ring on the shaft, put the race on with the concave part on towards the hub. Push the race down as far as it will go, then using a hammer and punch tap it up tight against the hub.

Job done.

Give it a go - if you don't have a blow torch, Possibly a hot air gun would do the job, or even the gas flame on the cooker or camping stove.

John
Last edited by heinkeljb on Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
sibrysmi

Post by sibrysmi »

Thanks for the swift response!
Just as suggested, it now awaits final cleaning & reassembly tomorrow.

Brilliant thanks John
Attachments
image.jpg
Markus
Site Admin

Post by Markus »

I would use something that transfers the hammer taps to the entire face of the bearing. Like a peice of pipe. I would even think about putting the old bearing between the pipe and new bearing. If you are worried about then not being able to remove the sacrificial bearing use a 1mm cutting wheel and slice the bearing before use.