Gearbox re-build

heinkeljb

Gearbox re-build

Post by heinkeljb »

Ever since I have had Lurch there has been noticeable drive train wine. I have come to the conclusion that most of it is coming from the gearbox. Compared to (most) other Haflingers I have met, Lurch is definitely very noisy!

So the questions for those who have done this job before are:-

How much do you actually have to take off in order to get at the gearbox?

How difficult is it to remove from the Diff / prop shaft - I take it that having undone the various nuts round the outside they just pull apart?

How difficult is it to set up again after you have replaced all the bearings and possibly worn gears?

I read in the manual about having to use a press to put bearings / gears in place and a jig to align the selectors up etc!

Is there anybody in the UK who offers to do the gearbox rebuild?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
StuartR

Re: Gearbox re-build

Post by StuartR »

May well be worth a chat with Dale up at Haflingertechnik.

There is some info on the various forums about rebuilds.

Hopefully it's just bearings and bushes and not too serious. Have you tried any of the additives for the transmission oils?
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

John - following with interest - as I have indicated I have gear rumble from the front diff but could be coming from further back - like yours mine does not seem to be getting worse but still rumbles away.

I am going on a 2200km week long trip early next month with my Landrover Club (old slow vehicles only) and contemplated driving the Haffie but the last thing I would want is a bearing failure half way through. So I will be taking my old Landrover 101 instead.

Concerns over this bearing has stopped me doing longer trips though not having an engine it at the moment is also an issue :cry: I have just not been in the mood to fix it.

So I may have to do the same as you so interested to see what comes up.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hello,

in 1969, SDP published a service bulletin which describes the process to disassemble the gearbox without having to completely take off the platform. Dale has a scan on his website, see:
http://www.haflingertechnik.com/ftp/tec ... dfs/10.pdf

I am not a gearbox expert, but I think it is hard to properly work on it without the right special tools. One can certainly open the housing, but then you already have the problem that the gear cluster is force fitted in the intermediate flange (the thin, central part of the gearbox housing). With the correct special tools, it can be removed and further disassembled. It is also correct that the gear selectors may be adjusted with help of a gearbox housing with a window. This housing is also included in the special tools set.

In Austria, there are some people with the right tools who can overhaul gearboxes. I'd love to find such a tool box myself one day, but they are quite rare - will have to keep looking out!

Kind regards,
Constantin
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

I can post pictures of the tool kit, I have one on loan to me for some project Haflingers in the back yard.
If you have a spare broken trans case, it is fairly easy to turn into a jig to set the fork positions.
I have many gearbox rebuild pictures(including home made jig) posted in my photobucket.
Cheers, Jim
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

pathfinder700ap wrote:It is also correct that the gear selectors may be adjusted with help of a gearbox housing with a window. This housing is also included in the special tools set.
John, I think that I might have one of these "gearbox housing's" and a couple of other special tools (but FAR from a full set). No idea what to do with them, but you would be welcome to borrow any of them.
Attachments
Special Tools 007_adj.jpg
Special Tools 006_adj.jpg
Special Tools 005_adj.jpg
Special Tools 003_adj.jpg
Special Tools 001_adj.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Thanks for the offer Julian. I will have to spend some serious time going through the repair manual to make sure I understand how you can take it apart and put it back together again. Also if you can do it without the special tools or atleast by making your own.

I think this will have to be a summer job, just because it will have to be done outside and after spending weeks with the front hubs off during wither it was no fun! Shame as it will cut down on a lot of the shows I will be able to attend this year....

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Hi Julian, could I please inquire where you purchased the special tools in the bottom 3 photos.I sold some special tools very similar to this on Ebay , around 2006 ish.
regards Dave.
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Hi Dave,

I bought them a few years ago in Norfolk, UK, as part of a job lot of one and a half Haflingers and a load of bits.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |