Removing the gear shift flange from the selector mechanism

Bigdougal

Removing the gear shift flange from the selector mechanism

Post by Bigdougal »

Hi all.

This is my first posting, having purchased the 1972 700 from my neighbour.

I am in the process of rebuilding and i need to replace the rubber boot that covers the entrance to the selector housing. To do this I need to remove the flange in orde to get the new boot on. Problem is it will not budge. I have tried heat and a gear puller but to no avail. Any ideas and yes I have removed the rivet pin.

Cheers

Doug
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
ogdenenterprise

Re: Removing the gear shift flange from the selector mechani

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Hi Doug, welcome to the forum, to replace the rubber boot ,you will have the remove the cover from the top of the selector tower to get access to the pin that holds the rod with the flange. I'm not sure if you can access the pin with out lifting the body. I have attached a photo , the pin is the one that attaches the finger as well.

Dave
Attachments
Gearbox pin.jpg
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Might it not be easier to remove the long gear change rod from the "finger" that sticks out of the tower? I didn't quite understand the original question (i.e. what the "flange" is), but if you can undo the rubber boot there is a single bolt that connects the long rod to the "finger"; undo that, push the rod forwards and swap the boot for a new one.

Doug, welcome to the forum! Where are you based?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I have removed the long rod (3 foot?) that runs from the gear stick to the flange that connects it to the selector mechanism. This was connected by three bolts to the round flange. The flange sits directly under the rubber boot and in theory is connected to the selector by a small rivet pin which I have knocked out. I was hoping that a gear puller would allow me to pull this flange off but even with heat it won't budge. I guess I will have to try and knock out a pin from the mechanism that sits under the cover to the selector housing.

I spoke to Dale at Haflinger Technic and asked if there was a split rubber boot available that would which would seal a long one side but unfortunately not.

I am based in Lot et Garonne in SW France. I bought the Haf recently from my neighbour who sadly passed away in January, he had bought it in Paris 18 months ago.

Best

Doug
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Apologies,

Forgot to mention that I have removed the platform for a spot of welding
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Doug, I now see why I was confused by the original question; the only serious work that I have done is on my 1962 Haf, and the long (3'?) rod on the early Hafs does not have the flange with three bolts - it is just a long straight rod. But having looked at a later Parts Manual I can now see what your problem is.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Doug,

I have pulled off that flange you mentioned about two weeks ago from my gearbox. I had the same probem that you have now, it wouldn't come off, even though I had removed the pin. Finally, I removed one of the pins in the linkage inside the gearchange housing (shown in Dave's picture). Then I could properly work on the flange and remove the flange from the shaft. I think that the flange is a tight fit on the shaft and/or corrosion was a problem.

Kind regards,
Constantin
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Hi Constantin,

Thanks for your response. I suspect there is some electrolysis between the alloy flange and the steel shaft. Did the pin inside the housing come straight out for you or was it a problem?
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
pathfinder700ap

Hello,

the pin inside the housing came out easily, since it was always well greased. However I must say that I had already taken off the whole "tower". That means I could partially take out the selector mechanism, so I had a bit better access to the pin.

I don't think that the flange is made of alloy. I think both flange and shaft are steel.

Kind regards,
Constantin
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Hi Constantin,

I had thought about removing the tower but access to one of the securing nuts looks a little tricky, how did you find it?

Did you split the mechanism at the flange afterwards?

Cheers

Doug
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
pathfinder700ap

Hi Doug,

I was able to loosen all three nuts with a slim extension for the ratchet. Possibly I have also removed the two steel plates in the middle of the housing in advance. If you want to remove the upper gearchange housing, you also have to open the small lid a bit further down on the gearbox to loosen and remove more parts of the selector mechanism.

Yes, I split the mechanism flange afterwards. I was able to punch the shaft out of the flange.

Kind regards,
Constantin