Parts Books

ogdenenterprise

Parts Books

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I have just been comparing 3 different parts books on the gearbox internals. One is a 1967 Swiss army that I downloaded from the internet, the other 2 are my own books which are a 1965 edition and a 1970 edition.The page I am referring to is 2-09, in the Swiss army and 1965 parts books there is no spacer shown on the part no 1, 2nd/3rd layshaft between no 7 (5th speed gear) and no 8 (Ball bearing with circlip).In the 1970 parts book it shows a spacer, no 65 which is available in various sizes and is the same spacer that is fitted between 47 & 48 on the same page on the pinion shaft. The gearbox has been in bits for quite a while , when I started rebuilding from the 1970 book I realized it was missing ( I thought I had lost it) so I purchased a replacement. I picked up my 1965 book and it does not show the part , can any body advise which book is right .

Dave
Goatwerks

Re: Parts Books

Post by Goatwerks »

Lay out all the parts and compare with trans pictures in my photobucket link in sig line. It may give you some clarity.
ogdenenterprise

Hi Jim ,
Thanks for the link , unfortunately the photos do not show the part, I have up loaded photos of the part in question. any help is appreciated.

Dave
Attachments
IMG_1282.JPG
IMG_1281.JPG
IMG_1283.JPG
IMG_1280.JPG
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Dave,

Only words of wisdom I can offer is to ask if you know how old the gearbox is. If you know it is an early gearbox, then likely it is based on the 1985 parts book. If the gearbox is later - then probably is based on 1970 parts book.
The only other way would be to put it together and see if it fits, then to see if you can get all the gears. The only issue with that is that it is likely to work whilst being moved by hand, but when all the shafts / gears are moving with engine running / driving - it might be a different story.

If you post up the chassis number which is stamped on the gearbox casing, that might help to date the gearbox. Of course, it is always possible that the internals of the gearbox have been replaced at some point in the past.

Hopefully Jim can offered better advise.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

As far as I can remember, all of the units had a shim, the number in the diagram is obviously out of build sequence(65) and may have been missed in early catalog.
Look for "witness marks" on the shaft to determine shim thickness or use the safest choice (without measuring)would be a middle selection.
It positions the shaft to center the gear tooth contact surfaces and clear case housing.

Question on early parts manual: Do you have the 32ics weber (1 barrel)parts break down with part numbers?
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Goatwerks wrote:Question on early parts manual: Do you have the 32ics weber (1 barrel)parts break down with part numbers?
I too would be interested in this; I have 1-35 which shows the complete Weber carb, but no break down. No date on the page, but I am fairly sure it is from a "June 1960" book. I'd love to have a breakdown page.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
ogdenenterprise

Jim / Julian,
The Swiss parts book that I downloaded has a page of the carb with part numbers, I cant find the source where I down loaded it from to give you a link. If you want me to post a photo of the page let me know.

Dave
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Yes, please :)
ogdenenterprise

Hi Jim , I have found the web site for the Swiss Haflinger parts book. The address is www.haflinger-luescher.ch ,go to the haflinger dropdown box then you can download the parts book. I hope the carb you want is in the parts list.

Dave
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Jim & Dave - thanks for that - just what I wanted :)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
ogdenenterprise

I think I have found the answer to my own question :oops: , the repair manual states (page 6-6, 1) insert the main cluster and lay shaft complete with shims, same size shim as the pinion to be used on layshaft. I have no idea where the original one has gone, I am now beginning to suspect that the gear box has been worked on before, when I originally stripped the gearbox the split needle roller bearing at the front of the pinion was completely missing. :?

Dave
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Dave,

Did the gearbox ever work? Or did you start stripping and rebuilding for the sake of it? Missing bit does seem to indicate it has been opened and "fiddled with" at some point.

Shame you won't know if all your hard work is correct until it is back together again and you can move the various cogs and selector forks correctly.

I hope you get it correct first time!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

Hi john.
All the gears would select if the 4 screws on the gear lever base were loose,but also it kept dropping out of gear when I pressed the clutch pedal, this is why i decided to investigate the problem.

Dave
ogdenenterprise

The gearbox is now re-installed and everything works ok. I found another problem with the circlips that fit either side of the gear that slides onto the clutch sleeve in the front part of the gearbox, page 2/08 ,part numbers 2x16 ,18 & 19 .I found there was forward & lateral movement of the gear (18) so I checked the circlips (16) and found they were 40 x 1.75 , the parts book states 40 x 2.5 . I ordered and fitted 2 of 40 x 2.5 circlips , problem solved. This adds to my theory that some one else has worked on the gearbox before me.

Dave
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Dave,

I would agree with you, there appear to have been several things that would have required the gearbox in pieces in order for them to have been as you found them. Least of all a couple of circlips. How strange that they would have been swapped for narrower ones? Did you notice them because they did not fit the slots correctly, or just because there was movement - i wold have thought a little bit of movement on a gear would have been alright if the teeth faces did not show wear off the edges. So good spot!

So how long does it take to pull the gearbox apart and put back together? I think I might have to do that at some point, Lurch is very noisy compared to all the European Hafs, but there again, they all look like they have just had a ground up restoration last year! :D :lol:

John

ogdenenterprise

Hi John ,
I originally made the mistake of installing the wrong size springs in the crawler gear syncronizer hub ,while on the bench I manually pulled the syncro to check if it would engage crawler gear .I noticed when it moved it didnt just fully click into place because the gear wheel moved forward, it took me a while to figure why the gear wheel was moving ,once I had checked the sizes in the parts book I was on a winner. The photo shows one of the 40 x 1.75 on one side of the gear and the gap which allowed the gear to move, when two correct size 40 x 2.5 circlips were fitted it took all the slack up and engaged correctly.

Dave
Attachments
circlip.jpg