Clutch noise

Yakov

Clutch noise

Post by Yakov »

This is probably a silly question, but I have no other way of finding an answer - is the clutch supposed to make a sound when the pedal is depressed? When I push the pedal, I can hear a continuous noise that sounds like rubbing. It's the same regardless of gear or neutral position, and only happens when the clutch is fully disengaged (pedal fully depressed). It seems a bit like the opposite problem to the one described in the thread "Drivetrain Rattle in Neutral" by Garry.

I had assumed that a noise in the clutch means I need to replace the throw-out bearing, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe I'm giving myself too much credit for all this engine stuff I'm learning recently. :P

In a well-maintained Haflinger, should there be a noise to the clutch? And if the throw-out bearing is worn, how much damage am I causing by driving with a worn out bearing?
AustHaflinger

Re: Clutch noise

Post by AustHaflinger »

I would say what you have is the issue I thought I had - that is a a worn clutch release bearing and or spigot bush.

My noise is the opposite - foot off the clutch in neutral and it rattles only when the gear oil is hot - so mine is gearbox input shaft bearing noise.

Both the spigot bush and clutch withdrawal bearing are easy to replace once the engine and gearbox are separated. I recently did mine when I had my engine out.

Not sure of this but I think that if the bearing is actually seized then the clutch pressure plate levers will get a bit of wear. If it is not ceased then the bearing will be wearing and may seize and then cause other wear. Something to be replaced as soon as you can.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
kerry460

Re: Clutch noise

Post by kerry460 »

G,,day . two types of throwout race .
carbon type and ball race .
some early ball races where prone to failure with some nasty results to every thing in proximity .

solid carbon type give basically no trouble .

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto