Syncron Rings

eniac

Syncron Rings

Post by eniac »

Good mornig.

Wish you a very good year 2015.
I used the yeaterday afternoon to disassemble the first gear syncronier hub from the Gearbox i have to clean.
Sadly the former owner sandblasted it without closing all holes in the Box. :evil:

Now I want to know how i can see, the syncon ring is OK or if i has to replace it.
syncr1.jpg
syncr2.jpg
syncr3.jpg
Can somebody can give my a hint about the above shown Ring? Is it Ok ,or not ?
Stefan

------------------------------------------------
reality is an illusion, caused by scarcity of alcohol
Pinzgauer 710M
Haflinger 700AP
heinkeljb

Re: Syncron Rings

Post by heinkeljb »

Pictures are very useful, but sometimes do not provide all the information required. Looking at the pictures, I see a couple of small "marks" "holes" in the internal splines. There are also some wear marks on the sides of the two "ears". I don't think these are bad as long as they are smooth and not rough / sharp. BUT, I am not an expert on these things, so maybe it would be wise to wait and see what other advice is give.

Are these syncro rings expensive? If not, then replacement would save any worrying about are the old ones good or not.

The argument for not using any item you "think" might not be right; Is how much work do you have to do to come back and replace it if it breaks? In the gearbox, I would say if you "think" it is bad, replace it!
You really don't want to have to take it all apart again if you find that gears make a horrible noise when you use them after you have spent all this time fixing them!!!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Just follow the instructions in the repair manual, use a feeler guage to check the face to hub clearance.
Unfortunately the rings are a bit pricey, but available.
If you lack a repair manual, follow the link in my sig line, it is posted in Haflinger tech section(pdf) ;)
One last tip, don't loose the detent springs.
eniac

Post by eniac »

Hi,
thanks for your Help. I don't have all Tools availible to dissasemble the gearbox completly . So I hope the other Rings are in a same condition
as that one from the first gear.
Stefan

reality is an illusion, caused by scarcity of alcohol
Pinzgauer 710M
Haflinger 700AP