So what are you folks using for transmission gear oil now?

Czechsix

So what are you folks using for transmission gear oil now?

Post by Czechsix »

All sorts of things out there, back when I had the 'mogs I had straight 90 weight GL4, which was a huge pain to find. Actually had to special order it, so if there's a more modern, recommended oil....ideas?

Yep, it's prep time...so I'm going through all fluids and maintenance items.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
Goatwerks

Re: So what are you folks using for transmission gear oil no

Post by Goatwerks »

Autozone 80/90wt or Coastal brand also at autozone.
All the oils were changed when your truck was here.
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Great, thanks Jim!

BTW, sent you a PM too
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
jhon

Post by jhon »

Hi Cz - I've had great results using Castrol Syntrax full synthetic 75/90 - it's pricy but worth it; it doesn't seem to thicken up when cold as much as conventional mineral oils - means smoother shifting and less power loss (important when you don't have that much to start with!)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Hay jhon - curious to find out if you have any leaks, or did you have a new build you're using the full synthetic with? In the past when I've tried to go synthetic from dino I've never been able to stop various leaks from appearing. With a fresh rebuild I have no issues, but with older vehicles...yikes. I agree with you on how much of a difference the synthetic makes in the shifts, especially when it's cold. I'll probably still stick with what Jim used, even the regular stuff we get now is worlds better than what the haf was originally designed to use.
jhon

Post by jhon »

I've heard about the increased risk of leaks when using synthetic oils to replace mineral but never experienced it myself.
I replaced the oils about a year or so ago as part of routine servicing (no rebuild) and all appears to be fine (I'm fortunate that my Haf appears to be fairly oil-tight with only minor misting from one of the front swing-axles, where it joins the transmission).
I've used this oil in other 4x4's as well with no issues (Jeep/Range Rover) - it did a great job of 'sorting' a notchy change in my Wrangler, however I can understand why you might not want to take the risk.

Cheers,

John
ogdenenterprise

Post by ogdenenterprise »

I used Lucas synthetic gear oil after my gearbox rebuild , I will have to strip it again I think every joint has leaked. I used aviation sealer on all the surfaces. I wonder if the synthetic oil has had a reaction to the sealer?? What make / type of oil are the aussie members using in their engine and gearbox ?

Dave
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

i am old fashioned , i use what it was designed to use .
old fashioned oils for old mechanicals
personal choice

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

ogdenenterprise wrote:What make / type of oil are the aussie members using in their engine and gearbox ?

Dave
I use plain old 20w 40 mineral oil in the engine (I did put some 5w 30 Full Synthetic from my RRS in once when I found my oil level was really low but the Haffie did not like it at all - low oil pressure and it was as if there was no oil there at all).

Currently using Castrol VMX 80 in the gearbox as I have a 4 litre container but any 80w 90 would be OK. Castrol Syntrans (not Syntrax as suggested above) would also go well.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

Gary VMX80 is a straight gear oil , not a hypoid gear oil
my memory tells me hypoid is recomended .

kerry
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

I remember seeing one or another lube chart with the gear oils being hypoid rated, too.
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

VMX 80 is a GL 4 rating ,

GL 5 is hypoid

kerry
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

i just checked ,
factory specs
hypoid SAE 90
gearbox , hubs and front diff .

i know the specs on VMX 80 , as my G Wagen requires straight gear oil for the synchromesh transfer case , VMX 80 is the easiest to get

kerry
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

As per my offline discussion with Kerry I have Nulon 80w 90 Hypoid in the hubs and this will be going into the gearbox/diffs when I finish using the VMX 80 I have - noting that while VMX 80 does not indicate it is hypoid, it is specified for gearbox transaxle combinations and has a wide temp range which I need here.

garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

Gary ,, just pointing out facts to others , i reckon you could run VMX80 for a fair while without causing a problem .
but ?????? :) :)
kerry
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I think a bigger problem is that different countries label things differently. Brand names are usually different so producing an oil brand name does not necessary translate in to a usable brand name elsewhere. That one of the reasons for producing specifications.

In the short term, any oil will do to get you out of trouble - operative term here is "short" - in some case this could be time scales down to minutes and in others years! Hopefully, no one who is working on mechanical items that require oil in some for or another is going to put in some oil that is completely wrong! Something that is similar to original specifications will work reasonably well until the correct stuff can be sourced.

In this case, a "thick" oil will work in the gearbox / transmission system - i.e. an oil that pours more like treacle at room temperature than water will work.

Obviously, it would be a good idea to change any "non-specification" oil for the correct stuff as soon as possible.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

look at my comments , re ;
GL4
GL5

kerry
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
jhon

Post by jhon »

John - re your statements, I would urge some caution particularly with GL4/GL5 oils (which to some may appear 'similar'); if you use a GL5 (containing sulpher) in a transmission with white metal syncromesh it is highly likely to cause significant damage in a short period of time. (the sulpher eats away at the white metal).

However, I agree that in emergency, that (generally) any 'similar' oil will be better than no oil!

Cheers,

John
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

John (jhon) you make a very good point - my Landrover 101 requires engine oil in its gearbox and transfer case and in the handbook is has a warning that if gear oil is used that oil with EP90 in it must not be used because of the very reason you point too. Locally some gearboxes have failed because some people have just chucked in any old 80w90.

Not sure if this also applies to Haffie gearboxes but I would steer clear of anything with an EP90 rating. Can anyone clarify?

Here is the Castrol Version http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusio ... A6GHZN.pdf

PS - just reviewed the Haffie lubrication chart and EP90 is a listed oil for the transmission so the issue related to erosion of synchros etc would not seem to apply.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)