Those limit straps....

Czechsix

Re: Those limit straps....

Post by Czechsix »

I wonder if this was a field fix, or something. Maybe there were a bunch of pinzgauer shackle ends in a box somewhere that were utilized for Hafi straps.....but it's still a PITA to make a bushing like this.

Anyway, interesting difference.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

There are the two styles of mounting - the one with a small end and 12mm hole and a later style with a wider end and a bigger hole with a bush.

Biggest problem with the later one is that the bigger hole means less metal surrounding the hole and so it elongates.

Length of strap is going to be with in a couple of cm's of each other, so as has been mentioned earlier, it might be that they decided to increase the suspension travel towards the end of production - Lurch was built in 1973 and originally had the bigger version of strap = I bought a set of new straps from the guy in south Africa who had some made with the smaller end. They both seem to work as well as each other.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Ah, very interesting. Thanks for the clarification. Since this one with the larger strap end has broken too, I'm going to make the strap wider. There doesn't seem to be any distortion on the ones I have, so I'll go with a stronger strap and just keep an eye on the shackles for any issues.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

John - do you know if these straps have the same part number as the earlier ones? I'd also be curious to hear if anyone has any of these newer ones NOS, and can give a length for the new ones. We've already gotten the length for the older ones, but if the new versions are actually a couple of cm's longer, that'd be good to know.

I did jig up the larger strap, and it looks to be the same length as the earlier strap version. I'll be relacing, taking pics, and probably a video this week. Still hoping my parts are coming in time for the desert run. Guess we'll see....
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

G,,day OOPS FORGIVE ME
i stuffed up .

the measurement IS 345 mm centre of eye to centre of eye .
this is on a new strap with an 18 mm hole .
part number 700 4 54 025 2
FANGBAND

F - 15631

my humble apology fore getting it wrong

please forgive me ???

kerry

and the width of the slot for the wire is 28 mm

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto