Gearbox & drivetrain oil

Julian B

Gearbox & drivetrain oil

Post by Julian B »

Recently I put some EP 80W 90 oil in my transmission and hubs etc. On another (classic Citroen) forum they say that I should _not_ use an EP oil as that can damage "phos bronze" parts of the (1956) gearbox.

Do Haflingers have a similar issue? I have ordered some Morris AG 90 gear oil for the Citroen and just wondered whether I should drain & refill my Haflinger too? See http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/golde ... r-oil.html

TIA,

Julian
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Re: Gearbox & drivetrain oil

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Julian,

If you are worried about using the EP oil, then buy more of the Morris AG90 oil and use that.

Does the container for the EP80W90 state if it is GL4 or GL5? If it is GL4 it should be fine. If it is GL5 then probably better to change it.
GL1 no additives, GL2 some, Gl3 some more, GL4 some more still, GL5 lots!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Hi John,

I'd only be worried if I was doing some damage - but if not then as I have another 5 litres of the EP80W90 then I'd be happy to continue to use it if I can ;)

It is GL-4, so should be "OK" on that issue anyway.

Cheers,

Julian
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I can't say I have seen horrible coloured oil or issues with Lurch's gearbox (other than the noise which I have since purchase) and I have been putting EP80w90 GL4 in there for some 8,000 miles!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Have a look at this recent discussion and my statement at the end of the thread "PS - just reviewed the Haffie lubrication chart and EP90 is a listed oil for the transmission so the issue related to erosion of synchros etc would not seem to apply."

http://thehaflinger.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3312

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

During the recent Dutch Treffen one of my european cousins suggested that I use "Hypoid 85/140" transmission oil instead of the EP80W90 that I have been using. He uses this hyphen oil, and it followed a conversation where I said that my gearbox occasionally "crunches", especially when hot (i.e. after a few hours driving around at high 20's degC ambient temps.

Can't say I have ever heard of this oil; does anyone else use it?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

You can obviously use Hypoid oil as it is also designed to work under extreme pressures as found between teeth of gears. The manufactures documentation will list the applications it can be used in. I doubt they will list manufactures of specific vehicles, rather the types of gears that it can be used with. (It might also be harder to find)
If you are happy to try it out then, I doubt it will cause any damage that would not probably happen with the EP range.

I would also make sure to flush the existing oil out with at least a couple of oil changes at very short intervals.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Some information - is an Aussie site but the information is for the UK/Europe. Seems OK for use in Hafs.

http://www.penrite.com.au/products.php? ... oducts=693
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)