Feeling Grumpy Today - Hub bearing issues

heinkeljb

Re: Feeling Grumpy Today - Hub bearing issues

Post by heinkeljb »

If you heat the collar nearest the wheel flange (top raised collar on Gary's photo above), it will "POP" exposing an "O" ring. Although this "O" ring will not leak a lot of oil if it is damaged in someway, now would be the time to re-new it.

Put a new "O" ring on the shaft and tap the collar back down using a long piece of tube.

If you were replacing bearing and / or shims / cogs in the hubs at this point, because everything will sit in a slightly different place when you put it all back together again - Now would be the time to re-new or at least Speedy-sleeve that collar.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Ok I remember you mentioned that earlier but I am feeling like a naughty school boy because I did not take and notice.

Now why would they do that? Obviously in the designers view, the oil seal would wear the collar so to prevent this, the collar is replaceable so not having to replace the entire axle if grooved - well great idea but a bit of an over kill as even back in the 50s there were ways of fixing groves caused by the oil seal - most cars crankshafts do not have sacrificial collars on them and they get grooves in them at the front. My collars have been on for 45 years and covered 70,000km of offroad use and they are still quite serviceable.

Anyway on mine there is no evidence that oil is getting past the o ring so I will leave it - when I put the speedie sleeve I will run a little bit of sealant to just make sure.

John as always - great advice.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I went to the industrial supplies shop today and they do not have a suitable speedie sleeve in stock so as the wear surface is Ok and I was just going to put one on as a precaution I will not worry about it for now. The oil seal I got is a bit tighter than the old one so should seal pretty good.

I will look at reinstalling later today or later in the week.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

A piece of hose pipe that fits though the bearings and shims and on to the end of the axle thread will make lining everything up easier.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Thats a good idea :idea:
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Cribbed version from an earlier post in this thread - not many people will have access to a lathe to turn up a suitable tool, but I pretty sure they can find a piece of hose that could be altered to fit.
Gary, if you make one, post up the dimensions.
John

AustHaflinger

The Gods Must Like Me

Post by AustHaflinger »

Being in a good mood and the sun shining on a not so hot day, I decided to give the hub a go.

After putting the new oil seal in, I tried to get the cog, washer and back bearing all in alignment - thought I did actually but it was wishful thinking. Second go, third go - no luck. I thought about John's pipe suggestion but decided it was all too hard - so on the fourth go the planets aligned and the hub axle slipped straight in - the gods must like me :roll:

The rest went together straight forward. While under the car I looked for the source of the huge oil stain on my garage floor but it was not obvious - looked like engine oil bit the dipstick showed that was not the case. I checked the gearbox diff level and it needed about 200ml to top up - so gearbox oil. Still not sure where it leaked out of but on the passenger side - maybe the left axle boot when the drivers side was raised high on the jack.

So after 4 months we are mobile again and running well - no oil leaks on the concrete when I parked up on my return from my 12km test drive.

Voltmeter is only showing 11.1v so I need to look at that - battery is clearly down and the charging system can maintain that voltage but not being it back up to 13v. I suspect my battery is down a bit having being parked up so long and as I have a much larger battery than normal, maybe the dynastarter does not have the oomph to being it back to full charge. Or maybe the battery is dying - I have the battery on my smart charger so i will see tomorrow.

Car now needs a full service - all oils, filters, grease, tappets reset (mine close up), carb cleaned out, mixtures, tuning (I am going to try more advance on the ignition) and the fuel tank resealed - does not leak or weep as such, but is developing a varnish buildup on the bottom near the chassis.

It never stops :o

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Maybe 12 km is not long enough for the Dynastart to refill your battery? Still if you are putting it on charge over night that should sort it out.
I have an electrical disconnect switch (like those on competition vehicles) to disconnect the battery completely when I park up. If I know I am going to be away and it is not going to get used, like when I go to South Africa, the battery gets connected up to a battery tender charging system.
Glad you managed to get all the "planets" lined up when you put your hub back together - It is definitely not the easiest job to do without a tool to help line everything up. Still, 4 goes is not bad.
Now all you need to do is find a Treffen to go to!

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote: Now all you need to do is find a Treffen to go to!

John
Its a bit expensive to ship a Haflinger to Europe or to the NW of the US.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)