From Portugal

present your haflinger and introduce yourself to thehafllinger.com community
João Freitas

From Portugal

Post by João Freitas »

At 64 yo, I found here one Haflinger from 69 !
It is love at firsth glance. I open the wallet and it came with me, on the back of a trailer . . .
Painted in metalic blue, seats from Japan, with a DAF 33 or 44 engine, four diferent tyres, no canvas, it is really a nice project. One very important thing; only small spots of rust and very few holes, mainly on back seats boxes and near the pedals (it is a LHD).
After almost 2 years and a lot of money spend in Austria :twisted: "Mephisto" is back on the road.
Military OD, original engine, tyres, seats etc € etc € etc € etc €€€€€€ :cry:
Here in Portugal, we have more or less 30 Haflingers completly rebuild, from +- 160 sold 50 years ago.
Probably in some remote garage or barn stay more 10/20 ?
I will need some assistence to post photos of my car ( is that thing really a car ?).
Thanks to you all for the wontherfull post that I find here !
Sorry for my english :oops:
Julian B

Re: From Portugal

Post by Julian B »

Joäo - welcome to the forum! Do post some photos when you are able. I am impressed that there are so many Haflingers still in Portugal - maybe something to do with the climate? 8-)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Welcome,

There is no specific document that tells you how to post pictures, but I did make this:-

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=640

Which might help.

Do you know how to attach photos to an email? If you do, you could always send the pictures to me and I can post them for you.

Would be really nice to see photos of the Haflinger with the DAF engine fitted. Did you ever try to use it with that engine?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
João Freitas

Post by João Freitas »

Julian
No weather related :-) ! Many of them, wend found, are almost on the ground as a rust small moutain...

John = João
The DAF engine (2 cyl. almost the same system and cc as the original) is a very good engine. I run the Haflinger with this engine before the new one and it is very pleasent. More power (?) and you do not notice very much the gap betwen the 4 and 5 .
The problem is that the DAF engine is longer (+- 10cm) so, some one before me extended the lower suport for the engine back door. Many other modifications are made, ex. cluche bell, rigth aluminiun suport of suspention, ring betwen engine and gearbox etc. etc.
All those things are reverted ! ! !
As soon as possible I will send to you the photos to post on the forum, thanks for all the work.
JF
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Joäo - welcome to the forum - looking forward to seeing some pics and discussion on your vehicle.

Welcome

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Sounds like a very interesting vehicle, João!

I'd also like to see and hear more of it, and that DAF engine setup.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch