Speedo cable

Bigdougal

Speedo cable

Post by Bigdougal »

Do any of you clever folk know if it is possible to change a speedo cable without first disconnecting the brake pipe from the master cylinder and removing the steering gear. I have a failed cable (outer and inner) and I can't see anyway of doing it. The securing collar is just too large. I am seriously considering getting a small tank cutter out and cutting a new hole.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Julian B

Re: Speedo cable

Post by Julian B »

Whether or not it is possible to do so I am not sure. All I know is that I couldn't do it until I had other reasons to remove the steering box etc. Very frustrating that the hole is just too small :(
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Julian,

Yes, it is rather frustrating to say the least. I would like to wait but unfortunately the Haf has its Controle Technique (MOT) next week.

I feel a hole coming on, if you know what I mean.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

A way round it would be to wrap the outer with self amalgamating tape to produce a weathrproof seal, then you can pull the centre core out from the speedo end. Replace with new cable, only needs a collar on it to stop it falling out the bottom if that becomes disconnected. You don't need the collar on the inner cable if the outer is connected at the bottom drive.

John
Last edited by heinkeljb on Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Hi John,

Sorry but I am totally confused by your suggestion.

Just to recap I need to replace both the outer and the inner.

Apologies if I am missing your point,
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Doug - I think what John is suggesting is to effectively "repair" the outer casing with self sealing amalgamating tape whilst in situ, and then to feed a new drive cable core in through one end (can't recall which end the core will easily come out of). You then have a workable replacement, albeit one with a repaired outer rather than a new one. But at least one has not had to remove it from the body.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

The outer cable has a severe case of the dreaded kink.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

As stated by Julian, this is a workaround to get you out of trouble, to do it properly, you have to remove lots of things as you already know.

Use a Dremel with a metal cutting disc and cut the section with the kink - one spiral with side, then use the self amalgamating tape to join the two pieces back together. Centre core comes out from the top (Speedo end).

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

I think I may have a solution. Would appreciate your thoughts.

Using a dremel carefully slice through one side of the threaded collar at the speedo end. Then gently prise apart. Having removed this remove the cable and replace. Then replace,the collar and use a jubilee/hose clip,to,secure back in place on the rear of the speedo.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Ok, i cracked it.

Firstly the new combined outer and inner cable I bought from Haflinger Technic cannot be separated. Try as I might.

The solution is to cut a section from the collar at the speedo end of the cable the width of the black outer cable. Then having threaded the new cable into place secure to the speedo using the collar that you have removed the section from. It will thread back in place and work just as well. No need for the jubilee clip.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Brilliant solution - I wish I'd thought of doing that when I needed to do similar. :oops: :idea:
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Put a cable tie on the collar instead - Might stay in place on the nice flat tarmac, but then fall off when going off-road.

Other options:-

Get the Speedo head out of the dashboard so you have access to the collar with it being reasonably horizontal.

Buy some two part epoxy resign putty.
Make sure the outer part of the collar is nice and clean - including the cut surfaces.
Put some PTFE tape on the speedo thread.
Screw the cut collar in place.
Mix the two part epoxy putty.
Squish some of the putty in to the gap in the collar and enough on to the sides of the collar for it to hold.
Allow to harden.
Now you can unscrew the collar and remove the PTFE tape and you have complete collar with thread in the cut section that will do up correctly.

John

Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Hi John and Julian,

I think I am going to go as is. Because the collar has a shoulder it doesn't flex.
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
wojo12

Post by wojo12 »

I feel very weary - I have just had my inner cable brake. Scotland can only sell me a complete (inner and outer) cable and I do NOT want to replace the outer. Is just an inner cable available anywhere these days?
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Maybe one of the european suppliers does just the inner. I will have a look this evening when I have more time. You could try sourcing one in Oz from a good Motorbike shop that deals with old Brit Bikes. The inner is basically standard, just different length for things. So they might have one long enough.

Another option would be to buy some of the cable and just file the ends into a square to fit in the two ends, the drive end and the speedo end. Would be best to try and get the ends brazed before filing so it doesn't unravel when you file them.

John