Shift lever boot substitute or crossover?

Czechsix

Shift lever boot substitute or crossover?

Post by Czechsix »

Has anyone found one?

The new one I recently purchased lasted a half dozen or so throws of the lever before disassembling itself into several rings, which, while they are quite decorative, don't serve the function. :lol:

Maybe old VW?
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
heinkeljb

Re: Shift lever boot substitute or crossover?

Post by heinkeljb »

If you had another one you could start off by smothering it in silicon grease to try and make it supple!

Like you I bought a new one and it fell apart, so I found a "new" old stock one and covered it in silicone grease and so far it has lasted.
John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

I'll have to remember that technique, John. Thanks. Never thought about grease and rubber rework.

Where'd you source the NOS one?

The other thing I thought about was repairing it with regular black silicone. Rough up the rubber, alcohol prep it, and then paint on multiple layers of the silicone RTV.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Modern repro stuff - especially if it is rubber is crap - a problem for all makes of vehicles unfortunately.

My boot is 45 years old and still working - I bet if I replaced it with something new my experience would be the same as yours.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Czechsix

Post by Czechsix »

Yeah, Garry, I've got the old boot, it's mostly in one piece. I guess I could repair it, it's definitely in better condition than the new one.

I'll probably try the RTV.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I think you could probably make a passable boot / cover using a piece of inner tube and patches / zip ties. Not sure that it really need the concertina type rings, lever should be held in position by the spring and bearings rather than the rubber boot.

Maybe there is a substitute boot on something like a Mini steering rack.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
walderse

Post by walderse »

You cam always break out the sewing machine and make a truncated conical boot with purse-string closures at the top and bottom. Upholstery vinyl or thin leather can work and adds a personal touch if you are so inclined. There are kits available on line as well.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
mechanical horse

Post by mechanical horse »

Hey Czechsix,
I had the same problem with the thing splitting and I just had about dozen little rubber rings and I looked every where for something that was useable that is fitted to motorcycles or aircraft and could find nothing suitable. I ended up getting some decent heavy duty material that is used here for covers for the back of utes and cut it to shape, which ended up a bit like a funnel and then sewed it up on the job with some decent twine down its length. I used a bigger size screw clamp to connect it to the housing and a smaller clamp for the shaft end. I have sprayed it with a silicon based spray and tucked up where it lives it may get damp or wet but I don't think it will allow water in.
Regards Rick.