Trail ready! CV joint entertainment....

Czechsix

Trail ready! CV joint entertainment....

Post by Czechsix »

Nice and dry....
Trail ready.jpg
I'll probably just clean it out, regrease it, and see how it feels.

Have to save the large strap for the boot too, I don't want to use the supplied metal strap.

Either way, should have it back together today.

Hardest thing was getting the top pin out, had to redneck engineer an impact puller lol.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch
heinkeljb

Re: Trail ready! CV joint entertainment....

Post by heinkeljb »

If you look back through all the posts relating to the removal of the top pins on Lurch, you will see I had similar problems - I had a trolley jack with a bar vertically adjusted to the correct height so I could have a bar across the top though a hoop at the top of a threaded rod attached to the top swivel pin. Then I could hit the free end of the rod and use it as a lever to get the swivel pin out! Took a day to to persuade it to come out.!
IMG_20121209_130840.jpg
They make a lip at the bottom - sign of lack of grease being pumped it to the joint.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Czechsix

Re: Trail ready! CV joint entertainment....

Post by Czechsix »

That's a nice set up, John!

Mine was simple enough, just took some threaded rod about 5" long, nut at the bottom to secure the rod into the pin, nut at top, spanner right underneath the top nut, and swing a hammer upwards into the spanner to pull the pin out. Poor mans slide hammer. If I'd bothered it would have been easy enough to make a small slide hammer, but the pin came out with persuasion.

Everything goes back together today, and then I get to start working on a much more modern project, and a much more annoying one.
Swiss 1963 700AP, Weber 32ICS carb, electric fuel pump, Black Diamond XTR 25x8x12 tires, Pertronix, civilian ignition and regulator system conversion, extra fuel filters, 4 point belts, NATO 3 color camouflage, Cobra CB radio, battery cut off switch