clutch release bearing / gearbox oil seal

rogerm

clutch release bearing / gearbox oil seal

Post by rogerm »

Hello,

I have just purchased a polycab Haflinger and I am fixing various bits and pieces.

Any help with the following items would be great.

1) The clutch release bearing is making a lot of noise and I would like to replace it.

I think it is part number 700.3.16.303 ... "WITHDRAWL RACE compl. ball-bearing with graphite ring", I can't see any sign of 'red paint' which has a different part number. I am not sure if it is still available ... interesting design with a ball bearing and a carbon ring. (not sure why it needs both ?)

Any advice on a replacement part ? The following place is out of stock (and is very expensive)...

https://www.autoquariat.at/shop/hafling ... er=1x1x803

Any experience with this or an alternative part ?
Will this new part replace the old part OK ?

2) Gearbox oil seal.

The bellhousing has some oil in it and I think the oil seal on the input shaft needs to be changed. Part number 501.1.2202. .... BAS 36/20/8. I see this part is also available from http://www.autoquariat.at. Is it possible to use a normal shaft seal 36/20/8 ... anybody tried it ?

Also any advice on changing the seal without taking the gearbox apart ... ie how to extract the oil seal without taking the box apart ?

Thanks for any help.

Roger
Attachments
WP_20171008_19_03_37_Pro.jpg
WP_20171008_19_04_07_Pro.jpg
AustHaflinger

Re: clutch release bearing / gearbox oil seal

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi Roger and welcome to the forum.

I would always put Haflinger Technik from Glasgow on your list of parts suppliers. http://www.haflingertechnik.com/html/index.php

They are not all that far from you and I have found them to be helpful and pricing is pretty good. Give Dale or John a call.

From what I remember they can be a pain to setup with the little retaining clips being put in the right spot.

As far as the gearbox oil seal is concerned I cannot answer your question as I have not have to do it. However is it engine oil or gearbox oil in the bellhousing as the chances are the oil is more likely to be engine. Likewise - how much oil is in there - there is a very small hole at the bottom of the bell housing that is designed to let this oil out - is it blocked and how much oil is really leaking? Mine does drop a little oil from here but is nothing like the amount from the bottom of the engine or from the swing arm fulcrums - neither of which is all that much. So unless you really think you have an actual failed oil seal and oil is gushing out I would be tempted to leave things as they are.

In my experience if you start on one thing you will have to do a lot of other things.

Others with recent experience on all things gearbox might be along soon to answer your specific questions.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
kerry460

Post by kerry460 »

G,,day .
the gearbox input shaft seal is fitted from the outside lever the old seal out using the flat metal piece it seats on
tape the splines so as not to damage the new seal .
it is best to use a length of tube that fits the steal flange to tap the new seal into place .

kerry
ex Tasmanian Haflinger agent .
1984 G Wagen 300GD auto
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Roger,

I agree with Gary, unless there is a lot of oil in the bottom of the bell housing it might be easier to leave the seal alone. I you do decide to take it out and replace it. One technique is to drill two holes opposite each other. Put two self tapping screws into them. Heat the surrounding Aluminium and then pull on the screws. This should get the oil seal moving, then you can use other implements to lever it out all the way if you can't get it out using just the screws.

As Kerry says, put a layer of masking tape on the splines so that when you slide the new seal down the shaft, the splines do not put put little "nicks" in the sealing lip.

Preference is to use a suitable piece of tube of the right diameter to tap the seal home, but it can be done by just taping the edge of the seal and working opposite sides into place.

As pointed out already, is it engine oil in the bell housing or gearbox oil? That will dictate which seal needs replacing. I notice you have the "Fording" plug (little bolt screwed into the bottom of the bell housing) in place. This is supposed to be put in when you are "Fording" a river or going through sloppy mud to stop it from getting in the the bell housing and affecting the clutch, otherwise should be left out or at least removed every once in a while to allow condensation to drain out.

As far as the clutch release bearing, Try Dale at Haflinger Technik - By the way John has left, So Dale is dealing with thing along with Mary.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

heinkeljb wrote:I notice you have the "Fording" plug (little bolt screwed into the bottom of the bell housing) in place. This is supposed to be put in when you are "Fording" a river or going through sloppy mud to stop it from getting in the the bell housing and affecting the clutch, otherwise should be left out or at least removed every once in a while to allow condensation to drain out.
Missed that - is definitely in and should be out for normal use - is most likely the reason you have excessive oil in the bell housing.

However given how easy (is anything easy on a Haflinger) it seems it is to replace the gearbox oil seal if you have any doubts about it integrity I would replace it while the engine is out.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
rogerm

Post by rogerm »

Hello,

thanks for all the replies.

The drain plug being "in" and the resulting condensation might explain the rust on the input shaft and clutch mechanism.

I think I will leave the gearbox oil seal alone ... if it was broken then the shaft would be covered in oil and not rusty.

With regard to the clutch release bearing the part number appears to be SACHS 3151 994 801 (also SACHS KT-00) and is readily available.

I think both crankshaft oil seals are gone on the engine so that is the next job (which also might explain oil in the bell housing).

Thanks again.

Roger