Im new and have questions..

Rabbit 16v

Re: Im new and have questions..

Post by Rabbit 16v »

I will go take a picture.

I did get it sorted this morning. Apparently, somewhere along the way, the bush that goes in the bottom of the shifter where it attaches to the shift rod got lost and the bolt was put back in. I made another bush and shimmed the side with a washer. I now have all gears and just drove it home.

Thanks again for all the help!! I now have two Haffies ready for adventure.

Chris
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
peter_m

Post by peter_m »

garrycol wrote:
Rabbit 16v wrote:Im not a fan of split boots, so I probably wont use those.
Well if your happy to have to pull the swing arms off and dismantle some of the hubs just to put boots on well go for it.

Getting the drive shaft back into the diff with the little nuts all aligned is no mean feat even when you can see them let alone when there is a boot in the way.

keep the nuts aligned by fixing with super glue adhesive. The glue joint breaks when assembled and loaded with power. done it twnty times plus and it really works fine
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

peter_m wrote:
garrycol wrote:
Rabbit 16v wrote:Im not a fan of split boots, so I probably wont use those.
Well if your happy to have to pull the swing arms off and dismantle some of the hubs just to put boots on well go for it.

Getting the drive shaft back into the diff with the little nuts all aligned is no mean feat even when you can see them let alone when there is a boot in the way.

keep the nuts aligned by fixing with super glue adhesive. The glue joint breaks when assembled and loaded with power. done it twnty times plus and it really works fine
Great tip!!
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

peter_m wrote:keep the nuts aligned by fixing with super glue adhesive. The glue joint breaks when assembled and loaded with power. done it twnty times plus and it really works fine
Yes a very good tip - thanks for that. I have been using thick grease to hold them in place that sort of worked OK but your method looks good.

There is nothing to be feared with the split boots - little finicky but work well and save a lot of work.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

I can admit I was not fully aware of how these were put together until I apparently needed to manufacture two of them.

In this case, I have zero intention of avoiding a split boot. Lol! Also, now that I know the construction, I am well familiar with how this works and split boots would be perfectly suitable.

Apologies for seeming like a know it all when I knew nothing, haha!

Chris
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I haven't told you the fun and games and modifications I had to do when I first used them :lol:
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Rabbit 16v

Post by Rabbit 16v »

Ive used the search button here plenty ;) Of course I dont know all of it, but I have read. I mean, people mostly come here when things are broken, right?
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

There are various other places on the Internet that deal with Haflinger's but as far as I know, this is the only Dedicated Forum for Haflingers. Facebook has a couple of Haflinger groups, but it is very difficult to search for anything on there and I have no idea on what happens to historic information!
Like Gary and I suspect quite a few others, this forum has helped people to repair, meet other owners of Haflingers.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

heinkeljb wrote:... but as far as I know, this is the only Dedicated Forum for Haflingers.
... In English - I am sure there are several sur le continent
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Nope. Even those cater for Pinzgauer as well - so I still think thehaflinger.com is unique!
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Techmogogy

Post by Techmogogy »

While this site may not be the most active (mostly due to lower ownership than other types of vehicles) it definitely is a wealth of Haflinger information and many, including myself, would be lost without it!
Dan
--------------
72 Pathfinder Hafi
75 710M Pinzgauer 2.7i
96 350GDT