Transmission Issue - Shifting

cahafi

Transmission Issue - Shifting

Post by cahafi »

I am currently having some issues with my transmission in my 1973 Haflinger. The transmission is the standard 5 speed version. When I purchased the vehicle, it didn’t have a reliable brake system, but did drive it around (on a ranch) and didn’t notice this issue, which it is now exhibiting.

THE PROBLEM: When operating the transmission in normal conditions, down shifting from 4th to 3rd, is not possible unless, you basically pop it into gear. Once removed from 4th, trying to place into 3rd, you start to hear grinding right away. When in 3rd there is a large amount of play laterally in the shifting mechanism. The throw to 2nd and 4th gear, feel much farther then the throw to 3rd and 4th gear, not sure if this a normal. There are no issues in the upshifting.

WHAT I HAVE DONE:
Replaced the throw-out bearing, which was toast.
Replaced the clutch which was incorrect and adjusted to proper specifications.
Replaced fluid with recommended fluid
Adjusted shifting linkage at three bolt connector.
Removed shifting mechanism in cab and made sure it was tight and lubed properly.
Removed cap on transmission tower and checked the swivel for play.

Could it be the syncro or maybe a loose shifting fork? I’m not super familiar with manual transmission and any help would be great.
73 RHD Polycab Haflinger
75 Volvo TGB11
walderse

Re: Transmission Issue - Shifting

Post by walderse »

It sounds like you have covered all the bases short of what appears to be your next step...pulling the transaxle.
I highly recommend you make contact with Jim LaGuardia in San Bernadino, CA. He has an excellent photo series on his Goatwerks site.
Hope this helps.

Take care.
Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
Sheridan, Oregon
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
heinkeljb

Re: Transmission Issue - Shifting

Post by heinkeljb »

Sounds very much like the Synco rings are worn and will need replacing.

Hope you have covered space where you can take things apart. Doing this sort of work outside is not a good idea.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!