Dodgy cv joint

Adam

Dodgy cv joint

Post by Adam »

So after pulling apart front hubs to repair oil seals and reassembling, noticed one of the cvs was not smooth, seemed to be grabbing internally. Pulled hub apart again, took cover off cv and removed seal which was stuffed, and have cleaned out with petrol. Joint is very stiff and grabbing, is it likely that by repacking joint with cv lubricant that it might come good?? I did have vehicle driving before and noticed no cv noises??? Can I get cv repaired or rebuilt?? A new one from dale is over $700 shipped!!! I guess now I have to pull apart other hub, again, as I would like to know that it is packed with lubricant, although it does feel fine. Any suggestions, is it ok running different cvs as mine are ball joints and new one would be rubber boot style???
Attachments
IMG_2841.JPG
heinkeljb

Re: Dodgy cv joint

Post by heinkeljb »

I take it you have dismantled the "rezepa" joint as the manual refers to them as rather than "CV" joints. You have taken off the screw threaded ring, removed the seal and washed out all the old grease and gunk?

If the Rezepa joint feels rough with not lubrication in it, then it is likely that it has got "pitted balls" - the joint was not designed to be take apart any further.

So you could put new grease in there, manual obviously has a recommended variation, but to be honest any grease will work, but you really need a grease that will stick and not run out when put under pressure and heat. You might find that it smooths out.

Unless there is a lot of play in the joint it should be fine to use. The Haflinger does not go very fast and there are so many other noises, vibrations and clucks, I don't suppose you will notice any thing specific from the Rezepa joint unless they are really bad.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Cheers john, have bought some cv grease so will load it up and see what happens!! As I said while driving previously it seemed fine so hopefully grease will be an easy fix.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

As John said - clean and reload with grease - the Cv is not driving unless in 4wd so is generally not an issue.

My CVs have been modified with a small removable bolt on the side that can be removed and a grease nipple inserted so that the CV grease can be refreshed regularly.
2014-10-18_16-33-49_211.jpg
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Adam

Post by Adam »

Already repacked with grease and seems pretty good, should have put a grease nipple in as you have done, see how motivated I get, good idea, thanks.
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Adam wrote:Already repacked with grease and seems pretty good
I thought it would come good.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)