Gearbox disassembly

Cegil

Gearbox disassembly

Post by Cegil »

I have pulled my gearbox/rear diff and rear axle out from under my haflinger. I am ready to get into the gearbox to hopefully resolve the issue of 2nd gear not staying engaged. It will shift in to 2nd gear but pops out immediately unless pressure is held on the stick shift to hold it in place.

Any advice before I tear into the transmission? I have the repair manual instructions which are vague and include no graphics. I have tried to access Photobucket images from goatwerks, which seems to not work. Does anyone have any pics of any basic advice on do's and dont's as I disassemble?
Rabbit 16v

Re: Gearbox disassembly

Post by Rabbit 16v »

The repair manual might as well be a colouring book written by drunk monkeys. Do you have the parts catalog that shows all the parts? That was really helpful for me. Have you tried disconnecting the linkage and engaging 2nd manually to eliminate anything outside of the gearbox?
63 Serie 1 SWB
72 Serie 2 LWB
63 Serie 1 SWB
bunch of other randoms
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

There are the three set screws at the base of the gearbox tower which I believe are involved in keeping the selector forks in gear. Maybe a message direct to Jim asking him to "fix" the pictures on his web site or maybe send you a copy of them directly?

If the gearbox is anything like the rest of a Haflinger, it will have some strange methods of doing things.

Good luck - post some pictures of the work along the way, it will be of help to others when they need to do similar things.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
bestill

Post by bestill »

Interesting! My haflinger that I'm restoring does the same thing. It jumps out of second unless you kept your hand on the gearstick when driving in second. When I bought it someone long ago had fitted one of those octopus luggage straps to the gearshift rod in an attempt to fix the problem. I thought the problem may lie in the linkages so replaced the bushes and spring in the gear shifter, the bush in the selector tower of the gearbox and rubber boots as well. Both these bushes did have a little play. I have yet to test that it works. A mate of mine who has several haflingers suggested trying those adjusting screws on the side of the gearbox first before pulling down the gear box looking for a worn selector fork or spring. Someone also mentioned that here. I also think you need a jig to put the gear box back together too. Let us know how you go! Thanks
MeggyMoo

Post by MeggyMoo »

On stripping the gearbox on my 1964 Mk1 I found the three detent screws (i.e. the screws which press the spring loaded balls on to the selector shafts holding them in the selected gear) would not move, they were seized solid! I ended up setting the casing up in a miller & machining out each screw with a 8mm slot drill then cleaning up the bores with a M10 tap, the grub screws are M10 x 12. I fitted Allen socket grub screws to replace the slot head screws which wouldn't come out. Good look if you haven't tackled it yet, your a little too far away to bring it round so I can do it for you if you experience the same issue!