Sloppy gear change

gren_t

Sloppy gear change

Post by gren_t »

Morning All,
Just a quickie before I dive in on the weekend.
The gear selection on my haff is sloppy to say the least, with reverse selection a guessing game until the clutch is released are there bushes or any adjustments that can Improve matters.

Cheers
Julian B

Re: Sloppy gear change

Post by Julian B »

I _think_ you need to play with the three(?) tiny grub screws on the side of the gearbox "turret" jut in front of the NSR wheel. But check with others & the manual before making any changes ...
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The most likely issues are going to be with the linkage system, particularly the bottom of the gear lever. The bushes and pins involved will wear and due to the long length of the gear rod any wear is magnified at the other end.
So first things first:- check the gear lever, then check the rubber disc and shim washers before thinking of altering anything on the gear box. The three set screws on the side of the gear box should be locked in place with Loctite (or the equivalent) and should not move. If you must play with them, make careful note of where they are "BEFORE" you move them, one at a time. You will probably want to put them back where they were to start with at least once if you mess with them.
Also as pointed out above - Check the manual and reread the section relating to setting up the gearbox before you try moving them.

I am 90 % certain your issues are down to linkage on the gear lever.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Usually the universal joint on the shift rod wears. You can re pean the pins in a press for a reasonably inexpensive repair. Also replace vertical shaft bushings including the bottom one in the nut.
gren_t

Post by gren_t »

Thanks for the replies
I suspected there should be some sort of bushing, I checked and there are no bushings on the entire rod just clevis style pins in sloppy holes.!

another job to the list..!
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

The bushings are in the vertical rod guide.
Look at your parts book.
Goatwerks

Post by Goatwerks »

Parts book(1969) section 2 20/0
Items # 46,72,76
These are main wear points as well as shaft#31(prokschi version must be modified to work, lathe required)