Synchromesh

Julian B

Synchromesh

Post by Julian B »

I find it increasingly difficult to select 1st & Reverse when stationary, possibly more so when the engine is warm/hot. It sometimes helps to select 3rd first, then 1st, as I was told that this can help "stop" the shaft to ease engaging gear. But not always.

1. Does this mean that synchromesh is "failing", and if so what specifically?
2. Does it require removing the gearbox to fix?
3. Are there any other workarounds to shove this problem in to the long grass for now? :oops:

In case it matters, this is on an early 4 speed gearbox. Whilst I have stripped down the engine, I have never done any work on any gearbox ...

TIA
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Re: Synchromesh

Post by AustHaflinger »

Most early gearboxes of any make do not have synchro on first or reverse - includes early landrovers and jaguars. It is important that revs are not excessive so make sure revs are not excessive when trying to move into 1st or reverse. What you describe would indicate revs are too high and going into brings the shafts to the correct speed for the constant mesh to work.

I often have trouble getting into reverse but moving the vehicle slightly brings everything into line.

I am not sure if your early gearbox has synchro on first or reverse but when stationary it should not matter and moving the gear lever slowly into gear should get everything in alignment.

So check your revs - should not really be higher that about 900 - also double shuffling the gear lever from a gear into neutral and then into first might help.

Good luck

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Check the clutch first. Try tightening the cable a little and reducing the amount of free play on the pedal before worrying that the gearbox is wrong.
Pretty sure all the gearboxes fitted to Haflingers have synchromesh, but whether it in first gear or not - that will have to wait until I can look at a manual.

John

P.S.
looked in the manual and the gearbox has synchromesh on all gears. Taking gearbox apart might be tricky, but should be do-able.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes John is right and I missed it - clutch needs to be adjusted correctly.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)