Front Hubs

Julian B

Re: Front Hubs

Post by Julian B »

Correction: The Operators Handbook states 20psi front and rear with full load. Max 23psi. For M&S tyres 23psi.

Not sure whether this is for both the earlier type of tyre and the later type, but this is what I use for the earlier type (ie those with broad sections of full width tread blocks).
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

John - I would recheck your front diff level after a short drive after doing the hubs. With my haffie up on stands I refilled the diff and virtually no oil flowed down into the swing arms so when I do drive it there should be a bit that is moved into swing arms - so I will be rechecking the diff oil level.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Julian B wrote:Correction: The Operators Handbook states 20psi front and rear with full load. Max 23psi. For M&S tyres 23psi.

Not sure whether this is for both the earlier type of tyre and the later type, but this is what I use for the earlier type (ie those with broad sections of full width tread blocks).
Just found a later Handbook, which states ...
  • Wheels and tires
    Disc wheels, rim 3.50x12, tires 145-12 resp. 165-12 with special tread.
    Pressure front and rear 20psi - 23psi resp. 22psi for 165-12.
... which is as clear as mud to me. Maybe just pump them up to 22psi all round and be happy? ;)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Thanks Julian,

I'll give that a try - just need to sort out the malfunctioning speedometer now - it has died through inactivity!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,
Check the grease inside the speedometer drive on the side of the front diff. The grease tends to go very hard or get gummed up with grit from dirt sneaking past the cover seal and jamming the drive and worm gears.
Cheers,
Steve
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John, if it helps, feel free to pop up over the w/e to see my speedo - the Haf is already on the ramps for ease. (Call first as not around all the time).
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Took the speedo cable off the speedo head and pulled it out the front so I could see the inner. Took the beastie for a quick drive - inner cable did not turn. So next on the list is to disconnect it from the drive on the diff and see if i can turn the inner by hand.

If that works, next will be to take the drive's cover off and see if things move in there.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Took the cable off at the bottom on the diff drive end. Tried turning the inner cable - no joy..... So tried to pull the inner out. Didn't move very much but enough to mean I can now turn the inner. So lifted the Speedo head end using some string to hold the end pointing up have filled it with oil in the hopes it will work its way down the cable and provide some lubrication along the length.

The route the cable takes looks convoluted so replacing it might be a bit involved. Just to get it through an MOT, I will just try to get the speedo to wobble a bit when they move the Beast. :roll:

John
Last edited by heinkeljb on Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

From memory one needs to remove the steering box (or maybe the master brake cylinder?) to fit a new speedo cable. A real pain!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

That sounds about par for the course with this thing! I see if my oiling works first.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

The speedo cable goes through the floor in a separate hole (just under the steering shaft) so if the grommet is removed can be fed through. With the side covers off the steering box the speedo cable can be fed under the steering box and master cylinder and then up to the dash.

However your experience seems to be the same as mine and if anything can stop progress - also if it goes in first time around - you have done something wrong.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

My stupid speedo cable and drive system will have to come out in order to find out whats wrong. The cable seems to be "turnable" by hand if neither end is connected, but when connected at the bottom, it doesn't turn when you go for a drive. So drive will have to come off just so I can find out what's not working.
If the drive cog on the input shaft is damaged, that presumably mean taking the front diff off - IF you can get a replacement cog!

For the MOT at that point I will have to try and find some other method of providing the speedometer reading. Maybe a GPS system if that is acceptable to the tester?

Maybe one of those motorbike ones where you have to fix a magnet to the wheel and then a sensor to pick up the pulse.

All more work that I wanted to do!

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

heinkeljb wrote:The cable seems to be "turnable" by hand if neither end is connected, but when connected at the bottom, it doesn't turn when you go for a drive. So drive will have to come off just so I can find out what's not working.
If the drive cog on the input shaft is damaged, that presumably mean taking the front diff off - IF you can get a replacement cog!
John, a couple of years ago I had a problem with my speedo cable, specifically where it went into the lower housing. I bought a new cog (Page 3-15, part #4) as mine was very badly worn. In an email I made the following comment:
Yes, the speedo gear did cure the "clicking" noise, although it was still _very_ sensitive to how it was tightened; I had to get the "in and out" (lateral) position just right by using a slightly thicker home made gasket, and also _very_ slightly rotate the speedo gearbox; if it was not just right, then it clicked agin.
It might be worth you looking at seeing if you have a similar issue?
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,
I'm quite sure that the speedo drive gears are still available but if you can't locate one at Dale's or from Autoquariat just let me know as I can likely find some in my hoard of treasures.
As I mentioned in my earlier post yours will likely be OK just "gummed" up with old grease and crud. You don't need to tear apart the front diff to repair the speedo drive. Nothing inside the diff housing will be causing your speedo problem. I'll second Julian's comment on the critical routing of the cable. Try to keep the cable bend radius as large as possible as it's very fussy.
Cheers,
Steve
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Took the cover of the speedo drive. (How do you get the main part off the diff?) Grease in there was soft, poked things with a screw driver and the cog and worm drive move. Then put the cable back on and rolled the Beast backwards and the inner cable went round :shock:

So put things back together sort of - left the cover off the drive box. Went for a little drive, Speedo working again!!! :D Put the cover back on.

Lets hope it continues to work long enough for the MOT which I have booked for 19:30pm on Tuesday (2/4/13) My local JUSTMOTS do a late night one day a week - some thing I didn't know they did till the other day!

So now I have everything working, I hope! (windscreen wipers just needed a shove so obviously there is a slightly duff patch on the commutator).

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Good luck with the MOT, John - you deserve it!

My wipers suffered a similar fate yesterday, but a bit of encouragement and it now spins nicely.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Good luck with the MOT John.
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

OK, So now my Haflinger has an MOT, see new thread.

Other than this thread being helpful to other people who have to pull their front hubs apart. I don't think I will need to post on it unless it is to reply to something.

John

AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yes - this thread has been a great help to me and my thanks to you for allowing to piggy back on it. I have had my hubs all back together for some time now but not able to test while the rear was apart - my long awaited parts arrived last night so should be mobile again in a day or two and hopefully the hubs no longer leaks.

Cheers

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Guess what?

I think the picture will tell all..... :shock: :evil:
near side front.jpg
near side front.jpg (174.44 KiB) Viewed 4994 times
Looks like diff oil. :x

Not many miles on the new oil seals and collars either.

John