MOT passed!!

heinkeljb

MOT passed!!

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi people,

My Haflinger passed its MOT just now - got a late night one.

I am not sure how? It was running on one cylinder, died and wouldn't start with out a jump from one of the testers cars. Lights still don't match any beam pattern but he got me to lower the drivers side a bit. He wobbled a few things um'ed and ar'ed a bit got me to do all the lights, the horn, washers etc. Then decided that it wouldn't work on the rollers so he did a Tappley test - I think we managed to get up to 15mph! Almost made in bump his head in both directions - Starting off,big lurch forward even in 2nd gear! Then again in stopping as he was busy looking a the Tappley meter he had between his legs!

Got it back home pulled the right hand spark plug lead off and as it came off, engine revs went up (it was doing a double spark, once in the air gap and then inside the cylinder. Once it had cleared the rubbish in inside the cylinder it seems to be running on two cylinders again.

Just about to TAX it online and then go for a drive!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
ogdenenterprise

Re: MOT passed!!

Post by ogdenenterprise »

Congrats John , now you have it road worthied will you be doing any more work on it or savouiring the moment for a while.
Dave.
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Great news :D :D :D :D
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

All the things listed above will need further looking at as the drive there and back was "interesting" to say the least, running on one cylinder means traveling in 2nd gear as there is no power to go any faster!

Having got it running on two cylinders, I went out for another drive, but it was coughing and spluttering a lot and seemed to lose power requiring down changes. The wiring I have for the indicators also isn't really up to it as they went walk-a-bout during my second little trip.

The gear box seems to be a real porridge bowl so I will have to read up on how you set it up. Could also mean the clutch needs adjusting as well.

As I have no idea how reliable it is, I will only be doing shortish journeys for a bit.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
walderse

Post by walderse »

John,
Congratulations on making it over this major hurdle. Were the testers interested in such a rare and unique vehicle? As you work through the listed items in need of attention, you will see even more light at the end of the tunnel. Best wishes for many years and miles/kilomters of enjoyment to come.
Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Hi John - that is great news - it is amazing what a few pounds handed to the MOT tester under the table will achieve :o.

Now you need to get into the real work and getting it fully reliable and trustworthy.

Well done - you must be chuffed.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The assistant MOT tester (who should have been inside turning light on and off and brakes etc) was outside because they thought it was easier for me to do that! He was wondering round it taking photos! So yes, they had never seen one before and asked questions.

Actually, I think the beast is older then tester! :lol: The assistant was showing me various other "unusual" vehicles they have tested, last one was an amphibious thing - modern variation which I sometimes see on the way to work so it lives locally.

I still haven't worked out which is the most photogenic view of the Haflinger. I am thinking of making a print they could hang on the wall!

As said, still need to make it reliable - running on one cylinder definitely is not! Gear selection also is a major one, slowing down to almost nothing whilst you try and find the next gear is not good. :x

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John, my experience with finding gears tends to be "its somewhere over there" & a bit of a bowl of soup, but in theory 1st and 2nd (or 2nd and 3rd if you have a crawler gear) should be straight ahead / straight back when the gearstick is at rest (ie via the springs). Reverse feels (as you will have found) an alarmingly long way away from the driver!
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |