Removing the gear knob

heinkeljb

Removing the gear knob

Post by heinkeljb »

The rubber seal on Lurch has split, so I have ordered a couple as the parts book say X2.

First thing - how do you remove the gear leaver knob to remove the old split rubber seal? That obviously allows you to fit the new one. So once I know how to take the knob off I can probably sort that one.

Secondly - How and where do you fit the second one? Is it the same rubber seal on the connection to the gear turret on the gear box?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
HaffyHunter

Re: Removing the gear knob

Post by HaffyHunter »

Hi John,

The gear shift knob unscrews from the lever. There is a jamb nut below the knob that must first be loosened (screwed down the shaft).
The gear lever assembly has both upper & lower rubber boots. The same part number is used for both as they are identical. The lower boot is a bit of a pain to access beneath the mechanism and is a slip fit over a triangular flange which is welded on the underside of the platform. At the connection point on the bottom of the gear lever you'll need to disconnect the lever return spring and the shaft which runs back to the gearbox in order to install the lower rubber boot.

Steve
Last edited by HaffyHunter on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Thanks Steve,

I should be able to replace them now with out undoing half the beast!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Thanks to Steve for his brief but concise instructions I was able to do the following:-

Undid the nut underneath the gear knob, unwound the gear knob. Took the nut off. The rubber boot is just clipped over a shoulder on the aluminium casting at the base of the gear lever. Unclipped it, pulled it up and off the lever.
New rubber boot did not really want to go back on, so I put some silicon grease on the shaft and then pushed and pulled until the rubber boot was all the way on.
Put the nut back on, then the gear knob. Holding it so it remained facing the correct way, did the nut back up again.

Now the feel of the gear change has changed, not quite so much "wobble" between gear positions.

John