Axle Check Straps - Alternatives ?

HerrFlinger

Axle Check Straps - Alternatives ?

Post by HerrFlinger »

Hi all -

As per the title - anybody have any suggestions for alternatives to the standard braided check straps ?
My project has nothing at the moment, so I'm curious to see what other people have ?
Perhaps a "fabric" ?, or "wire rope" ? or chain even . . .

Pic would be great !

Thanks -

Paul
heinkeljb

Re: Axle Check Straps - Alternatives ?

Post by heinkeljb »

Hi Paul,

I don't know of any alternatives, but like you I am sure "something" could be made to do the same job. Having said that, I think Dale at Haflinger Technik probably has them for sale.

Do you have even "remains" of them? The easiest alternative I can think of would be to find a dead Ratchet strap from a lorry which has fallen off the back! They are probably still good for 20 ton strain. Only issue would be that they are probably double the width of the originals, so folding a strip in half length ways would solve that issue.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Dale does sell them, but cheap they are not.

A previous owner of one of my Hafs used heavy duty (motorbike style) chains. You can just see it in the top left of this photo. I can't quite recall how the chain is attached to the end bracket - perhaps welded?
Attachments
002.jpg
002.jpg (361.17 KiB) Viewed 4036 times
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

That actually looks like a better solution than webbing - the bracket could be made with a long thin tang which could go through a link in the chain, around a roller and then be welded back on to the mounting bracket with a hole in it for the bolt.

The problem I can see with webbing would be how to fasten each end securely enough. Sewing would not be strong enough. Perhaps folded back on itself over a bar and then riveted using big washers?

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
walderse

Post by walderse »

John,
Sewn nylon suspension limiting straps have been used successfully on much larger, heavier and faster vehicles than Haflingers for quite some time. Removing the remnants of a damaged stock woven wire web leaves upper and lower eyelets that beg for nylon strap replacement. With that said, I would start with with widest and thickest new nylon strap material that would pass freely through the eyelet slot. I would also have the webbing sewn by a professional with an industral sewing machine.

Take a look: http://www.filthymotorsports.com/Limiti ... tstrap.htm

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Jim Molloy
Waldersee Farm
http://www.northwestmogfest.com
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

I replaced two of mine recently and I got them from Haflinger Technik and they were not cheap. My previous owner said he regularly busted them when he hit potholes where the spring would push the wheel dawn and the check strap would "twang" straight and after a few times break as there is no give in the straps.

Solid axle Landrovers have canvas check straps that work well though it is the weight of the vehicle pushing down rather than the spring so the shock is not as great.

In line with this idea I have kept my old Haflinger strap fittings with a view of putting canvas straps on them but I have not found any suitable material (the landie straps have fittings on their end and are also a bit expansive ) but I think seatbelt webbing may be suitable - it does not the abrasion resistance of canvas or stainless steel but is cheap and easy to put on.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Maybe I should have qualified my statement regarding sewing the webbing straps - I was thinking of it being done at home - i.e. no access to an industrial sewing machine with ultra thick nylon thread.

I know lots of webbing straps are sewn - e.g. all the ratchet straps you see on lorries etc - but they are not done at home with limited kit. That's why I though using rivets and washers would be easier.

John

HerrFlinger

Post by HerrFlinger »

Thanks, Chaps - all interesting replies !

I like the idea of the canvass style straps - perhaps more in keeping than the Mad Max bike chain !

As I said, mine has nothing to start with . .

Cheers

Paul
Ian

Post by Ian »

I made new straps for mine out of old seat belt webbing and looped it through the original end fittings and had a mate with an industrial sewing machine sew them for me. They have lasted 20 years and a lot of off road use without any problem. They looked neat too. You could sew them by hand with a yacht sailmakers sewing kit, but it'd be easier with a machine...
AngelPantoja

Post by AngelPantoja »

In the way to do the straps by myself, anyone does know the measure between the two points that the strap links?
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I am sure some one has at least one strap that has not been fitted who will measure it and post the dimensions here shortly. I can take some "guesstimate" measurements of the straps on my vehicle if that helps. They have probably been on there since it was built and may have stretched so may no be the best ones to use as a pattern, but would be better than nothing.
Let me know if you want me to measure and post them for you.

John

Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Does this photo help? This is an unused check strap that I bought from Haflinger Technik recently.
Attachments
2013-07-04_08.58.24-2.jpg
2013-07-04_08.58.24-2.jpg (137.36 KiB) Viewed 3925 times
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
HerrFlinger

Post by HerrFlinger »

Thanks, Julian - v.useful !

Paul