Adjusting shift linkage

jkslvr

Adjusting shift linkage

Post by jkslvr »

Any tips on making reverse on a 5 speed more positive. I occasionally bind/cannot find the gear when trying to hit reverse. All other gears seem pretty straight forward

Got to the left down and forward. The forward is the bind point on occasion.
HaffyHunter

Re: Adjusting shift linkage

Post by HaffyHunter »

Try adding a couple of spacers in the shift rod where it couples to the shaft entering the gearbox. Place an alignment mark on the two halves of the coupling before you loosen the three bolts. Alignment of the coupling halves on reassembly is critical to "finding" all the gears.
Cheers,
Steve
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hi there,

also keep in mind, that the reverse gear has straight toothing. If, by accident, the intermediate wheel of the reverse gear is in the "wrong" position when you try to shift into reverse, the gearwheels may not be brought into engagement. Then you have to clutch in again (at least a little bit) and then try again. Don't know if that is your problem, though...

Kind regards,
C.
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

As I am shortly going to have to disconnect the gear change mechanism completely as my restoration progresses, what advice on actions to take to try and get a good starting point when I reassemble?

Thanks
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Your gearstick might be slightly different from the one that I have (as mine is an early one with no "cast" metal surround at the base of the gearstick), but when I put mine back together after the restoration the things that made a big difference included ...
  • * greasing the nylon ball (#6) - not sure why but this doesn't seem to be mentioned in the greasing schedule
    * slightly moving the base plate (#10) to one side or the other in relation to the body (not relevant if you have a cast metal base plate?)
    * putting in a new bolt (#22) where the long shaft connects to the short finger that projects from the gear change tower)
I can hardly believe how much more positive my gear change is now - whilst I wouldn't claim it to be rifle bolt smooth now, it is far better than the porridge stirring feel of old 8-)
Attachments
8-20_00_Schaltgestange_zur_Getriebeschaltung_pdf__page_2_of_2_.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Tennmogger

Post by Tennmogger »

Julian B wrote:.... the porridge stirring feel of old 8-)
That describes mine exactly! But at least my Haflinger shifts into reverse and 1st now, which it would not when I got it. Sounds like I need to disassemble the mechanism and replace some wear parts.

Marking the connection flange in the shaft with an index line would seem to be important. Adjusting that flange was what got my tranny shifting again.

Bob
1952 Willys M-38, Unimogs from 1957, 1965, 1970, 1975, 1978, 1988, and a 1968 Haflinger NA bugeye!
StuartR

Post by StuartR »

Thanks for advice.

I'll mark it all up to give me a starting point.

As I am replacing the whole footwell assembly I'll have to try and get the new one as close to the original point as possible!
Best Regards

Stuart

Northampton