Gear selector tower

Julian B

Gear selector tower

Post by Julian B »

Is this what the inside of the gear selector tower should look like? Everything moves fairly smoothly, with little play, but I was surprised to see it comparatively "empty" of lubrication. (Ignore the small amount of water in there, which got in when pressure washing the chassis; I will certainly remove it before putting it back together).

Whilst I have access to it, should I wipe out the existing grease and put a load more back in? If so, what grease and how much?

TIA
Attachments
2013-09-20_11.26.28.jpg
2013-09-20_11.26.28.jpg (709.22 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Re: Gear selector tower

Post by heinkeljb »

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't just clean things up in there and re-apply new grease in similar quantities. I presume you had no real problems with selecting gears, so it must have been working OK.

One of the reasons I don't like using power washers directed engine / gearboxes / brakes / seams etc. They manage to force water in through hole which they some times create!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!