Removing the drag links

Julian B

Removing the drag links

Post by Julian B »

I would like to remove all four drag links so that I can clean / de-rust / re-paint them and the central tube. But I can't work out how one is supposed to extract the castle nut #36 from within the shroud on the inner end of #31. This is so for all 4 ends that attach to the central tube. The shroud on the end of the drag links seems to prevent easy access to the split pins that retain the castle nuts.

Any ideas?

TIA
Attachments
4-05_00_Shock_Absorbers__Check_Straps___Drag_Links__Front___Rear_.pdf__page_2_of_2_.jpg
4-05_00_Shock_Absorbers__Check_Straps___Drag_Links__Front___Rear_.pdf__page_2_of_2_.jpg (155.97 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Re: Removing the drag links

Post by heinkeljb »

All you have to do it get the split pin out from the nut in the front, then the split pin out on the rear. When you undo the nuts, one will come off quicker than the other.
Failing being able to take the split pin out, you can just use a chisel to chop though the split pin ends and once the shaft is out, drive out the remains of the split pin.

The only thing you have to be careful of, is getting everything back correctly as those drag links control the relationship between the centre line of the drive tube and the centre line of the axles. I.e. you could end up with the vehicle "crabing" if reassembled wrong.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

As John said - note the washers and spacers as this has an impact on the wheel alignment - whwn I did mine I was not aware of this an guessed where spacers etc went and just winged it on reassembly - seems to have come out OK.

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hi Julian,

as I can see on FB, you have been able to undo the front drag links, which is good. I know it's painful to remove the split pins on the backbone tube.
The rear drag links may only be removed when the rear axle is disconnected from the central tube... Also don't forget about it when putting everything back together!

Regards,
C.