Gearbox oil level

Julian B

Gearbox oil level

Post by Julian B »

I thought that some might be interested to see the correct level of the oil in the gearbox.

On the earlier Haflingers there is a dipstick located on the right hand side of the top of the gearbox. It was deleted on later models. It is slightly shorter than the engine dip stick, but looks similar. There is only one mark on it, approx 5mm from the end. With the gearbox removed one can clearly see that the oil goes up to ~ 1/3rd of the way up from the bottom.

The mark on the dipstick pretty well lines up with the side filler hole (on the right of the pink line in the photo) - which makes sense!
Attachments
2013-10-05_08.52.14.jpg
2013-10-05_08.52.14.jpg (349.8 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
AustHaflinger

Re: Gearbox oil level

Post by AustHaflinger »

Seeing you have yours apart - can you tell me why the gearbox/diff unit has two filler holes and two drain holes but you only have to use one of each to change the oi.

Thanks

Garry
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I think it is because there is a lip between the two areas (front and rear), and without draining both areas some oil would be left in.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Gary,

If you look in the repair manual book, you will find a cross sectional drawing of the engine / gearbox. If you work out what the "hatching" is for the alloy casings, you can follow that from the prop shaft tube back to wards the engine and see the between the gearbox and the differential there is a casting lip to stop all the oil from draining back to the engine end of things when you are traversing a steep slope.
So there has to be two drain plugs to allow you to drain all the oil from the two parts.
As far as two filler holes go - must be down to a machining / holding reason as they are opposite one another and even if you had the PTO setup, there would be no need for the filler hole on that side.

In other words, I don't know why there are two filler holes - doesn't make economic sense - two machining operations instead of one....

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
AustHaflinger

Post by AustHaflinger »

Yep - agree with the two drain plugs but the two fillers is a bit odd.

Gary
Haflinger 700AP (73)
Range Rover Sport TDV6 (07)
Landrover FC 101 (77)
Landrover Series 1 SWB Station Wagon (57)
Landrover Series 1 SWB (57)
Jaguar E-type Roadster V12 (71)
Jaguar XJ12C (76)