Why two fuse boxes

heinkeljb

Why two fuse boxes

Post by heinkeljb »

I still haven't worked out why mine has two fuse boxes when other variations only have one. The actual wiring in mine does not match the only wiring diagram in the repair manual or the user handbook.

Not a big problem as everything appears to work correctly. Except the windscreen wipers which seem to have stopped working for some reason. All the fuses are intact.

My wiper motor has three wires going to it, but seems to have had a replacement flick switch put in place which when it was working only gave 1 speed wipe. I assume the original switch which has two positions is supposed to give it 2 speed settings?

Anybody know?

John
Last edited by heinkeljb on Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Re: Why two fuse boxes

Post by Julian B »

The three UK spec Hafs that I am familiar with all have the original wiper pull switches, and all only have one speed.
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

I always assumed (dangerous, I know!), that the second fuse box was there for those Haflingers that had more complicated electronics - such as military spec / ancillary equipment. But I may well be wrong ...
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hi there,

I also don't know why some civilian Haflingers had two fuse boxes, but I agree with Julian's thought that this was needed for more complicated electrics... e.g. the models for the UK market usually had special equipment like fuel gauge and wiring for trailer plug (plus trailer indicator control light on the dash).

The wiper motor is only one speed, but the wipers should go back to the initial position automatically when you switch them off. This is why the third cable is required.

Regards,
Constantin
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Thank you for the information on the windscreen wiper system. I shall have to sort mine out before I take it for the MOT but as that still seems far away - front hubs are taking forever.

Mine has a fuel gauge and the trailer lighting socket. I replaced the flasher relay (which was wrong) for one which would run the dash board light.

I shall have to have a better look at the wiring and see if I can trace the alterations from one of the wiring diagrams. I wonder what else it would have to run? The original version had a fuel warning light which could easily have been replaced by the fuel gauge without requiring another fuse box.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John,

If you would like to borrow a wiper motor in order to get your Haf through an MOT test, you know where I live ;)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

It is my experience that earlier Series 1 Haf's had a single fuse block and Series 2 Haf's have dual fuse blocks. This is only a rough rule of thumb as I have seen late production Series 1 trucks with dual fuse blocks too. All of the polycab trucks that I have seen have dual fuse blocks but these have also all been Series 2 trucks. In my 1969 Canadian Haf all the fuses in the left block are used and about half the fuses in the right block are used. As mentioned in the other messages the additional fuses were likely needed for optional equipment (such as lights on the fire trucks and ambulances). Perhaps too the adoption of later taillight and side marker light designs gave need for more circuits.

As for the wiper motors, there are three types used on Hafs. Series 1 trucks had a smaller 1-speed motor which is identified by very rounded top & bottom ends of its cover. The earliest of these do not have an auto-park circuit (3rd wire). Series 2 trucks also have a 1-speed motor with exception of the US Pathfinder Hafs which have 2-speed wiper motors. The Series 2 (including US Pathfinder) wiper motors were made by SWF and include the auto-park circuit. These wiper motors are larger than the Series 1 type and have a slightly bulged looking cover. There is a small compartment above the wire terminals that contains the auto-park switch mechanism that is actuated by a cam and pushrod in the gearbox housing. When disassembling the wiper motor be careful not to lose the pushrod as it is very tiny and may drop out without being noticed.

For John, it is typical to find that the lithium grease used in the wiper gearbox becomes very hard with age and can jamb the mechanism. You will likely solve your problem by removing the old grease, cleaning everything then refill with new general purpose lithium grease.

I have wiring diagrams for both 1-speed and 2-speed SWF wiper motor systems which I tried to add to this message but aren't being accepted by the forum for some reason. I'll try to figure out the issue and post them later.

Cheers,
Steve
HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

Here are the wiring diagrams for SWF wiper motors.
SWF 1-Speed.jpg
SWF 1-Speed.jpg (24.58 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
SWF 2-Speed.jpg
SWF 2-Speed.jpg (32.2 KiB) Viewed 2126 times
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John, Looking at the way your wipers are "parked" in your photo in the Restorations forum; all the wipers that I have known auto-park in the down (ie horizontal) position. Something is evidently amiss with yours ...
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

I did notice when they were working that they did not "auto park". So yes, you probably are right there is something not right there not including the fact they no longer work at all!

The wiper motor will have to wait until I get the front hub sorted as at present the front end is up in the air and is probably not the safest of places to go climbing around in.

John

HaffyHunter

Post by HaffyHunter »

If your wipers "park" in the vertical position then the timing of the bellcranks on the wiper arm shafts is off by 180 degs. Disconnect the linkage and rotate the shafts 180 deg. then reconnect the linkage.
Cheers,
Steve