Combined brake / rear light / indicator cluster

Julian B

Combined brake / rear light / indicator cluster

Post by Julian B »

I'm in the midst of a 100% re-wire of my early 1962 Haflinger, and am getting tied up in knots. On my early Haf there is only one rear light "cluster" per side, each with 2 single filament bulbs in them. IIRC the large bulb is 18W, and the small one 3W.

Two questions:
  • 1. Am I correct to assume that the 3W bulb is the indicator?
    2. Which bulb has two functions: is the indicator also a brake light, or is the rear light also the brake light?
I am sure that I will have other questions, but for now I just need to take things step by step ...

TIA
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Re: Combined brake / rear light / indicator cluster

Post by heinkeljb »

Julian,

I am sure the 3W bulb is just the rear parking / position maker bulb.

That would make the 18W bulb the rear brake light and then doubles up as the indicator on that side. The bit that is difficult to get ones head around is how they made the brake light if it is on, flash because you have the indicator on!

Sounds like you are having fun!

Did you manage to get wires that had the same colours / strips as the original or are you having to use completely different colours? I hope you are recording your new wiring diagram so you can trouble shoot it in a few years time when you have totally forgotten what you did!

At least you are doing all of this in the warm and dry! I am sure there are things I should be doing to Lurch, but it's horrible outside!

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

John, thanks for the reality check! It makes sense that the tail light (position marker) is the smaller of the two bulbs, and that the combined brake / indicator is the larger. I will double check these in the morning, and will cross check to see what the front "side" lights are, ditto the front indicators.

95% of the new wires are the same colour as the old ones (jeez, those unknown remaining 5% are making life difficult), but I did make good notes & labels for everything that I removed on the old loom (which I still have). I have made pretty good progress so far, but the rear light clusters still need to be sorted.

The lights that do work include
  • All 6 indicators (albeit possibly through the wrong bulbs at the rear)
    Front side / dipped and beam lights
    Rear tail lights (albeit possibly through the wrong bulbs)
    Number plate lights
    Speedo lights (instrument, beam and indicator)
    Horn
    Dip / beam floor button
    Ignition light
I have yet to do the brake lights, check the wipers, or connect my new tachometer. For some reason the indicator stalk headlight flash function isn't working. The non-engine wiring that goes to & from the voltage regulator is all done but the actual engine wiring will have to wait until I get the body on the chassis and the engine in the body!

And yes, being in a dry garage is bliss! :D
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

pathfinder700ap

Post by pathfinder700ap »

Hi Julian,

looking at an early Austrian Army wiring diagram, I am confident that brakes and indicators use the same bulb.

http://www.haflinger-4wd.com/offtopic/s ... -5a-01.jpg
http://www.haflinger-4wd.com/offtopic/s ... -5a-04.jpg

Except for some small differences (army black out lights, 2 fuse boxes etc.), this wiring chart should be correct for your Haflinger version.
The combination of brakes and indicators (at tail lights 31/32) must somehow be controlled by 18, 19 and 20. Sadly, it is not explained how these devices work inside and I am no electrics expert.

I could try and find the 100% correct civilian wiring diagram as well if you are interested.

Kind regards,
Constantin
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Thanks all; I managed to get it all to work today! :D

The rear "side" lights are indeed the (fairly feeble) 3W bulbs, and the brake & indicator single filament bulb is the larger 18W. I have now double checked the wiring & made one small correction, and when the brakes are on and you turn an indicator on that bulb just flashes - the only way someone can tell whether you have both indicator & brake on is by cross referencing with the other side.

I also managed to get the indicator stalk "flasher" mode to work, so other than the wiring that is directly related to the engine all is fine. Result!
Attachments
2014-01-01 12.11.31.jpg
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

Well done, The rest should be straight forward.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!