Cover for wiring loom

Bigdougal

Cover for wiring loom

Post by Bigdougal »

I have just finished putting together a new wiring loom and I am trying to find some new lengths of black plastic flexible cover similar to that used originally. Any idea where I could find some, or something similar.

Cheers

Doug
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
heinkeljb

Re: Cover for wiring loom

Post by heinkeljb »

Doug,

You mean something like this?

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/338

You could also use Spiral wrap which allows you to have wires coming out of the main loom at any point you want.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

When I made my completely new loom over the winter I used the stuff from AES. Can't recall the diameters used offhand (I am in Austria for 10 days), but could check when I return if that helps.

I didn't use spiral wrap as I wanted mine to look as original as possible, so I just measured the lengths of the various (varying diameter) tubing as the wires branched out in differing directions, and noted what wires went through which tubes.

It is a tight fit to get the main trunk up and through the rectangular metal section welded to the footwell floor, but is is doable.

Good luck & enjoy the process - I know I did ;)
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
Bigdougal

Post by Bigdougal »

Thanks John and Julian, the AES stuff looks the business. I shall order tomorrow.

Thanks again
Cheers

Doug Hart

1972 AP 700
bestill

Post by bestill »

Thanks guys, I was after some of this stuff too! I Didn't know where to look! I ordered 4 metres of 16mm I.D, hopefully this should do the main branch. The 20mm might be a bit hard to drag through the under body. Cheers Dave
Julian B

Post by Julian B »

Just to mention that there are two types of this shroud - shrink to fit and non shrink to fit. Whilst both have their uses, AIUI the Haflinger only had the non shrink tubing originally. (If you try to heat shrink the non shrink to fit it just melts. Don't ask how I know ... :oops: :D
Julian B
W Sussex, UK

| '62 Early Series I SWB | '72 Series II LWB |
| '56 Citroën Traction Avant |
heinkeljb

Post by heinkeljb »

The real problem with the heat shrink version is that as it shrinks it gets harder to bend, so it won't go round corners as nicely. One way out of that problem is to use heat shrink, fit the cables where you want them to go and then heat using a hot air gun. This will then take out any slack in the sleeving and make it look neater.

You can also get heat shrink with an adhesive in it which holds loose cables even better and has better water sealing properties.

John
Haflinger 703AP LWB 1973 - (Once owned by Lady Sutherland & Sons.) Now called "Lurch" !

Have you hit the "DONATE" button at the bottom of the page after reading this post? Many thanks if you have!!